Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

voip over vpn

Hi,

i have site A link to site B using VPN, I use the ASA to setup the tunnel.

can I pass voip call through the tunnel? my existing voip call is route through eigrp links.

Thanks and regards,

paul

8 REPLIES
Blue

Re: voip over vpn

yes, you can have a voip call go through your tunnel.

qos may be an issue depending on what you have in between your VPN endpoints, but it is possible.

you can also have phones/softPhones registered through the tunnel.

Hi qpulos,

Is it the normal ipsec tunnel? or must I configure something like the V3PN?

thanks and best regards,

paul

You can use a normal IPSEC VPN tunnel and use the

QOS pre-classify command so that the WAN packet have the QOS information pre-pended into the header. that way if your ISP supports QOS those packets will be given priority.

Thank you Bartlett, I will try it out.

Hi Bob,

How do I point a specific range of VOIP call to go through the VPN tunnel, for IP address, i can point specific range to go through the VPN tunnel.

my voice configuration is something like below: i can't point the session target to the pix right, so how do i route the call through the ASA?

==================================================

network-clock-participate wic 1

network-clock-select 1 T1 0/1/0

controller T1 0/1/0

framing sf

linecode b8zs

ds0-group 1 timeslots 1-24 type e&m-immediate-start

dial-peer voice 102 voip

destination-pattern 8T

session target ipv4:192.168.254.9

!

dial-peer voice 1 pots

destination-pattern 2T

port 0/1/0:1

The access-list you reference in the VPN configuration should have those addressses in it. that way the PIX or ASA or Router no matter what will see that traffic and encrypt it. Are you doing NAT through the Tunnel or not? If not you must have a NAT rule that bypasses the NAT between the source and destination IP addresses.

Hi Bob,

my existing VOIP calls are routed through E1 links, I have a trunk on the cisco router connected to a traditional PABX, all calls are made from traditional phone sets without IP address but are routed and converted by the VOIP router to other sites' VOIP routers.

If I understand correctly, it means that I have to specify the ip address of the VOIP calls in the access-list inorder to send via the tunnel? else there will be no other way?

Thanks much,

Paul

So here is what I was meaning you would create an ACL like below to point the 8T dial-peer

permit ip (your voice network) (far end voice network)

you need to do that because the routers are only in play for call setup the actual call is between the phones at each end. you must provide the VPN path for them.

If you want to be more specific you can email me directly at bob.bartlett@ispro.com

Views
Helpful
Replies