Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VOIP over VPN

I am working on implementing a VOIP solution for my company. We have 15 locations all connected via VPN's using 2651xm at the remote, terminating to a 3745 at HQ. We are using 3DES, and each location has an internet T1. Cisco is a bit leary of the QOS over the internet, and understandibly so. I wanted to find out if anyone was doing a similiar solution, and what they have experienced.

Thanks,

Geoff

5 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: VOIP over VPN

Hi Geoff,

We're doing VoIP over VPN between here in San Jose and Portland, OR. Connections to ISP are T1 to the same provider, Cable Wireless. Running G711 and quality is great. VPN is between 2 each 3640 routers. I think it all depends upon how heavy the data traffic (QoS) and end-to-end latency - same ISP would help a lot.

Duc

Thanks for the reply Duc. That makes me feel better! I am using the same ISP end to end, so we have a lot in common. Are you using any softphones? I have read that it is hard to seperate the packets in COS.

Geoff

I believe the issue is simply that the softphones will have the same IP address as the PC - so differentiating between web traffic and RTP is quite difficult.

(perhaps some sort of stateful packet inspection like the PIX does for H323 would work, but I don't know if it's supported anywhere)

Doug.

gbeaty, perhaps you can email me - jhyeo77@hotmail.com - as I believe I can provide you with a much better solution...

Hope to hear from you soon.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content