Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VoIP Reliablity

When does anyone think VoIP will be 99.999% reliable? If you factor in all the network switches, routers, software bugs etc you have just quadrupled your stress as a network administrator. We have a smal implemenation of 600 phones and it has not been 99.999% reliable. In fact one day all of the 6509s in our network becasue of a bug having to do with creating a VLAN! Something that routine and the network was down for a couple of hours. Customers will simply not except their phone not working and you can only blame it on "leading edge" technolgoy for so long. What has been everyone else's experience? Is it possible to temper customer expectations about VoIP? With that said I am a big proponent of VoIP and I don't think traditional PBX companies can stop the train.

1 REPLY

Re: VoIP Reliablity

I think your correct in your view of VOIP as you see it and have experienced it. There is a lot of hype about IP telephony going around, but I think you can build a VOIP network that is 99.999% reliable. It does not mean buying a couple of CM boxes, some phones and a few config changes in the current LAN/WAN or a switch or two to make it happen correctly. It does mean taking a picture of the current network ( LAN and WAN ), infrustructure, change controll policies, etc...and possibly changing the entire process along with the equipment. If for instance the current change controll process does not include duplicating upgrades, patches, and network gear changes in a LAB before putting them into production it may need to be looked at more closely. ( In many cases even having a LAB is an issue. ). Possibly hiring an outside company to mange the network may work, but each case may be different. The part I like the best about IP telephony is it forces people to look at issues they have been disregarding ( or getting away with ), for a long time ( and I have harped about for years ), as well as makes apparent the need for more and proper training for individuals who are going to design, impliment, and maintain the converged network. Also it forces the OS and the networking sides of companies to work together, which in many companies is a daily political battle. All in all I am excited about IP telephony and have been involved with several high profile successfull IP telephony engagements. So all in all it can be had here and now for a price that may not be monitary.

Views
Helpful
Replies