Cisco Support Community
Community Member

VoIP - Where to start?

My boss has asked me to look into possible VoIP solutions. The problem is I know very little about it and am overwhelmed by the wealth of information online concerning VoIP and need to get my bearings.

Currently, we have PBXs at our main location and two branch locations. T-1s connect the three carrying voice and data. I would be happy to provide any additional info if it would help.

Sorry I don't have a specific question but I can't choose from the hundreds in my head. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

VIP Purple

Re: VoIP - Where to start?

Some potential questions to ask:

1. Do the PBXs need to be replaced anyway? If so, now is the time to look at IP Telephony.

2. What are the potential cost savings of using VoIP/IP Telephony (toll bypass, etc)?

3. What are the potential soft benefits (Extension dialing, Unified messaging, XML applications, etc) that may also translate to cost savings or increased productivity?

4. Do you or your team currently have network knowledge that can be applied to VoIP/IP Telephony?

5. Do you currently have an investment in network gear that can be used in the new integrated network or will it require a new network infrastructure?

Below are links to some books that might help.

CreatePlease to create content