Replies

VWIC-1MFT-1E1vs NM-HDV2-2T1/E1

msulieman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

please what is the difference bteween these two modules:

VWIC-1MFT-1E1 and NM-HDV2-2T1/E1

how to decide which one I should use in case of voice card module to be connected to PSTN

7 Replies 7

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

vwic-1mft-e1 is a single port e1 WIC. This can be used in a regular hwic slot of a 2800/3800. This card requires that you install PVDM2 chips (DSPs) on the motherboard of the 2800 (if the card is installed on a hwic slot).

With NM-HDV2-2T1/E1, which is a network module has higher density to install up to 4 PVDM2 chips on the network module and has a optional vic slot on the network module. This version of NM-HDV2 also has 2 on board t1/e1 ports. These two onboard ports can be configured as t1 or e1 at the same time. Upto 4 t1/e1 ports may be installed at any time on an NM-HDV2 as long as you populate enough DSPs.

I would recommend you to determine,

a. what type of connection you need to PSTN (t1/e1) ?

b. How many such connections you need ?

If your requirement is < 8, i would recommend not using NM-HDV2 and just use the regular hwic slot on the router, with a vwic-1mft-e1 or similar.

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

thanks sir for ur answer let's present my case:

I have a router 1841 and an IP telephony system consist from 30 IP phones, I need an access gateway to call PSTN and PSTN call inside IP phones, I need 2 E1's one primary and a second as backup I have to choose the correct 2 ports-VWIC that should handle these 2E1's, so what should the VWIC be?

thanks

Use VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1.

You cannot use a 1841 for voice. You need a 2801 or better for a minimum

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Use VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1.

You cannot use a 1841 for voice. You need a 2801 or better for a minimum

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

did u mean by (You cannot use a 1841 for voice) that 1841 doesn't support voice?!!! or it is a performance issue, so 28xx router is better than 1841 according to performance

?!!

pleaaaassse help

1841s are not made for supporting voice cards, just because to packetize voice, you need DSPs. There is no NM slot in a 1800 nor does it have any dsp slots on the motherboard to support voice cards. So its a limitation on the router itself. You need a min of 2800 or better to support voice.

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

so I want to choose 2801 with E1 to PSTN but what should the VWIC be:

VWIC-2MFT-E1 or

VWIC-2MFT-G703

(note that I have to choose 2 ports for future expansion)

and as I know the first one (VWIC-2MFT-E1) will need CAB V.35

the second doesn't use V.35

so

what is the difference between V.35 and G.703?

what's its impact on voice or E1?

when to choose either?

thanks for ur efforts