cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wan on Voice Router

p-herr
Level 1
Level 1

My question is would it be a good idea to put my wan link throught my voice router. Now I have a 28xx on both ends for cme and 1751's for the wan. The 1751's carry voice and data.

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

I wouldnt do it if at all possible just for the following reason.

If you have any data related issue and you want to reload the router, it takes your voice gateway also down. Try to keep phone and data equipment separate as possible.

For a remote branch usually it doesnt make sense to spend a lot of money on two separate pieces. Most times branches get only one router with both wan and data terminated on it.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

mmorris11
Level 4
Level 4

Isn't this the point of an "integrated" service router and "converged" networking? Isn't "warm" reload supposed to help with rebooting? I run wan/voice on the same platform all the time. That's what it's for.

-mike

Yes the ISR is just make sure that you take the proper time to ensure that you have a good solid security configuration so that someone can't take out your network connection and phones at the same time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: