Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAV format

I've been playing with the Compaq Pocket PC over LEAP wireless on my corporate network. In addition to the softphone for Pocket PC, I also have it set to synchronize my mail including attachments. When I receive an voicemail from Unity, the WAV file is sent to my Pocket PC device. However, for some reason, the Pocket PC cannot play the file. I think if I change the encoding, it may work.<br><br>Most other wav files (including system sounds) play fine on the Pocket PC... just the Unity voicemails don't play. Any suggestions? How can I change the encoding method for WAV files?<br><br>Plus is there any roadmap to using a more efficient method of encoding like MP3? <br><br>

4 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: WAV format

you can change the encoding used for new recordings in Unity using the SetRecordFormat tool found in commserver\utilities. I would suggest trying GSM 6.10, several folks out here have had success with that format on various hand held devices.

No, there is no MP3 on the immediate horrizon. Need to get a decent device driver for Windows for it that can encode on the fly without thrashing the CPU (MP3 you take your hits encoding/compressing and it plays back nicely). converting other formats to MP3 on the fly is very expensive so it doesn't make a very practical codec for Unity regardless. G729a is pretty light on the CPU and records at about 1Kb/sec... MP3 isn't any better than that.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Great, I'll try the GSM 6.10 encoder. Thanks.

Regarding file sizes then... so am I currently (default) recording my wavs as G.711 and I can get better compression by using G.729?

Anonymous
N/A

yes, but be aware that the sound quality is a little less and the G729a codec doesn't have silence detection, which can be an issue. Because of the high compression the WAV driver is not able to easily detect when a period of "non voice" goes by since it compresses silence (or more to the point similiarly sounding patterns) on the fly.

GSM 6.10 is a nice compromise (around 3Kb/sec as opposed to 8 Kb/sec for 711 uLaw), sounds reasonably good, cheap on the CPU for converting and it also works on many hand helds.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Which vendor does the ip softphone s/w for the Compaq Pocket PC? My mail address gksiaw@mail.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content