Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Way to check each PRI for outgoing calls?

I am running into the issue where users are having to put a 1 before numbers that should be local to one of the 3 PRI's we have. Right now I have 2 dial peers setup for long distance which take 91.......... and 9........... calls if they don't match any of the other dial peers. I am discovering that for any calls that I don't have a dial peer setup to go out the correct PRI get sent to this dial-peer and require a 1 because the PRI is not local to the number they are trying to dial. Problem is I have 2 other PRI's which they are local to but I have to setup a dial peer for that # (say 9123456....) to force it out the correct PRI so that it doesn't require a 1. I got a list from our PSTN and the calling area would be huge... were talking like 500+ dial peers even if I truncate them correctly.

Is there any way to have it check each PRI before sending it out the last resort which is 9........... when it is not local to any of the other 2 PRI's?-

4 REPLIES

Re: Way to check each PRI for outgoing calls?

Are we talking about the NANP here? It should be divisible by area code.

I terms of what you are asking, I doubt that it is possible. As I understand it, you want the gateway to attempt to place the call via 1 PRI and, if the call fails at the PSTN switch, to attempt a different PRI. As far as I know, H323 cannot react to messages from the PSTN, which would be the first notifcation that would be recieved.

Perhaps if you could be more specific, we could help more. Are these PRI's geographically seperated? Is there multiple H323 gateways? Is there a CCM behind it all?

The PRI's are centrally located and all go into one h323 gateway where 2 CCM's are behind it all. All the stuff is actually in the same room. I would think other people are having this problem with new lines as well since it seems to be a config issue on the client side. Setting up numerous dial peers can't be the only soloution.

I guess I'm not sure why you need to come down to the office code level in the dial peers.

On the other hand, this is not an issue exclusive to Cisco or even IP Telephony. Any PBX with those PRI connections would require the same type of configurations (Although on a PBX they would be called vectors or some such). You said that you got a list of office codes that are and are not local to each of the PRI's. Have you asked your PSTN provider? They must have faced this issue before with other customers.

I probably am missing a minor detail somewhere. I talked to the PSTN and they said that dialing 1 won't necessarily make it a toll call on their end which was my main concern. My other concern is making it so users don't have to dial a 1 when they dial numbers that they wouldn't have to if they went out one of the other PRI's. I guess I will know when I get the bill this month.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content