cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Weird Unity issue

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

This past weekend, I added a new Exchange 5.5SP3 server to our existing Exchange site. This server will replace our current Exchange 5.5 server (in about a week). I used the Exchange Administrator "move user" command and moved all the users from the old server to the new server. Everything went well except for some problems that are affecting only one user. Everyone else is fine.<br><br>The user can access his mailbox/voicemails through outlook without a problem. However, he cannot get at his voicemails through the phone. He gets an error stating that the system is temporarily unavailable or something like that. People can leave him messages and he shows up in the directory. logging in from different phones doesn't help. His Unity account has been removed and recreated twice already and it does not help. Any ideas?<br><br>

1 Reply 1

Not applicable

Simply removing the Unity properties from the mail account isn't going to do you any good here... if you can find the user in the SA and you can get to the point that they are logging in, the subscriber properties are there and in good shape.

I'm guessing we've still got a handle to a mailbox ID that no longer exists or is a "dead" mailstore that was left hanging around in the private store collection after the move. This can happen if you leave any client (including the Unity notifier client that's running all the time when we're up) logged into that mailbox when you do the move or if you shut down an Exchange server they're moving from before the move is complete... it leaves to different entires in the private store and causes all kinds of goofy problems for us.

Regardless... whenever you get a failsafe message (i.e. the "I can't talk to you now...") there is always an error in the application event log that will point us in the right direction.

If it's the mailbox ID handle we're still hanging on to, a restart of Unity will force us to query the directory to get a new handle (we're working on a fix to make this query every time we get a failed login attempt instead).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)