cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is a code yellow, red and call throttling?

I got the following error and CM stopped and started. Can't find much on this. Can anyone tell me what it is and what happened to the CM? Is this a bug, or is it normal operation in call throttling? Do I have to adjust anything in the Service Parameters? What can I do about it? This is CM ver 3.3.3 with no SPs. It is in a cluster with a subscriber and a Unity 4.03 server. Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Here are the errors:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Cisco CallManager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 3

Date: 11/4/2005

Time: 12:47:24 PM

User: N/A

Computer: PUBLISHER

Description:

Error: CodeYellowEntry - CodeYellowEntry

Expected Average Delay: 1330

Entry Latency: 15

Exit Latency: 6

Sample Size: 10

Total Code Yellow Entry: 1

Normal Priority Queue Depth: 146

High Priority Queue Depth: 1

App ID: Cisco CallManager

Cluster ID: PUBLISHER-Cluster

Node ID: 172.1.1.4

Explanation: CallManager has initiated call throttling due to unacceptably high delay in handling incoming calls.

Recommended Action: Determine the reason for high CPU usage in the High priority and Normal priority queues (Cisco CallManager System Performance object)..

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Cisco CallManager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 3

Date: 11/4/2005

Time: 12:47:59 PM

User: N/A

Computer: PUBLISHER

Description:

Error: CodeRedEntry - CodeRedEntry

Expected Average Delay: 7681

Entry Latency: 15

Exit Latency: 6

Sample Size: 10

Code Yellow Duration: 30000

Number of Calls Rejected Due to Call Throttling: 0

Total Code Yellow Entry: 1

Total Code Yellow Exit: 0

Normal Priority Queue Depth: 177

High Priority Queue Depth: 0

App ID: Cisco CallManager

Cluster ID: PUBLISHER-Cluster

Node ID: 172.1.1.4

Explanation: CallManager is not able to recover, even after attempting call throttling. The CallManager service is shut down.

Recommended Action: Determine the reason for high CPU usage in the High priority and Normal priority queues (Cisco CallManager System Performance object)..

You have to check to see if you have enough cpu or memory.

We had this happen once on a Sub, it was on 3.3.3, had been upgraded from 3.3.2. It did it once, and never again, I had opened a TAC case and never really got any good explanation, they suggested we turn on some perfmon logs, but by that time it had been running fine for 3 weeks after the issue, and it has never done it again. The customer had not noted any unusual activity on their network or anything, it just seemed to come out of nowhere. No Dr Watson log or anything. One thing we did discover was that there were some service parameters related to code yellow behaviour, Time to Stay Throttled - which waas the time to go from Code Yellow to Code Red and restart -the recommended default was 99999 (which disables the restart), and we were set at 30. Noone had touched that, it must have come up with that number, maybe over upgrade or something. TAC didn't think it had anything to do with our issue, the customer rebooted the server themselves, but said the default would be better. As I said, haven't had a peep out of it since.

Mary Beth

Here is the description of call throttling behaviour the TAC engineer distilled from some internal docs:

The call throttling is more designed to ensure the server is not going to be overloaded with overwhelming signal processing, and if it is activated, the consequence is that new calls attempted will be rejected, or, outbound/inbound call dials got delayed, or if MTP resource is required

for some enhanced features, those call may experience delay/drop.

Mary Beth

OK, Thanks for all the info. I suspect that I may not see it again either.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: