Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

what is a DN?

i was reading a techpaper on ITS and step seven read as follows:

button-number{: | b | s}dn-tag [button-number{: | b | s}dn-tag] ...]

Example:

Router(config-ephone)# button 1:10 2:11 3b12 4s13 Assigns a button number to a Cisco IP phone directory number (DN) and indicates ring treatment. The maximum number of button-DN pairs is determined by phone type, as follows:

Cisco IP Phone 7960—up to 6 button-DN pairs.

Cisco IP Phone 7940, Cisco IP Phone 7910, and Cisco IP Conference Station 7935—up to 2 button-DN pairs.

Note The Cisco IP Phone 7910 has only one physical line button, but you can assign it up to two DNs.

button-number—Number of a line button on an IP phone.

: (colon)—Normal ring. For incoming calls, you hear audible ringing. You also see a flashing ((< icon in the phone display and a flashing red light on the handset. On the Cisco IP Phone Expansion Module 7914, a flashing yellow light also accompanies incoming calls.

b—Beep is allowed. Audible ring is suppressed for incoming calls, but call-waiting beeps are allowed. Visible cues are the same as described for normal ring.

s—Silent ring. The audible ring and call-waiting beep are suppressed for incoming calls. Visible cues are the same as described for normal ring.

dn-tag—Directory number tag.

I have a few quesitons. 1) in what context is a DN?

2) what is the button-number command used for? and lastly what is a dn-tag—Directory number tag?

thank you!

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
3 REPLIES

Re: what is a DN?

1) in what context is a DN?

This is the extension number that somebody would call to reach the phone on the line the DN is assigned to. For example: On a two line (two button) phone you could have button one use 6500 (DN) and button two use 6501 (DN).

2) what is the button-number command used for? I am not an expert on ITS but my guess is that it associates the DN with a specific button on the phone.

3)Lastly what is a dn-tag—Directory number tag?

Again I am stretching my knowledge here but based on how CallManager assigns DNs in phone button templates you can also assign a text entry. So lets say that DN 6501 is your system's voice mail number you would add a tag to button 2 "VoiceMail". DN 6501 button 2 dn-tag voicemail

hey thanks for your explainations, at least now i have a general knowledge of what i'm looking at and can now fine tune my knowledge. thanks man

For example: On a two line (two button) phone you could have button one use 6500 (DN) and button two use 6501 (DN).

IN THIS CASE, HOW COULD I PUT THE IDENTIFY WHEN THE SECOND LINE RING??

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.