Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

What's the correct format of forwarding email to fax machine using IP phone

I am using IP phone with unified messaging. Once the voice prompt allows us to fax our email in the mailbox and we agree to send it with the preset fax delivery number, what is the correct format of the fax recipeint.

In my testing system it sent to the subscriber’s “firstname lastname” of the sending phone. Can I change the format to something like fax=5555@domainname.com since I am using C3600 as a fax gateway with off-ramp fax script. And the script required the fax=fax-number@domainname.com (where the domain is a domain_name of the c3600).

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: What's the correct format of forwarding email to fax machine

No, the fax mailing format is fixed at the moment.

Currently Unity only works with fax servers that have an EXchange (or Doimino - guessing that's not what you're using) back end. All outbound faxes are send to the format "[FAX:name@deliverynumber]". That's that standard format that tells Exchange to use the gateway registered for the type FAX.

We can do inbound faxes on the gateway (you'll find a wizard for this on www.CiscoUnityTools.com), however outbound isn't there and wont be until there are some necessary changes in IOS to address problems with the delivery reporting (i.e. we can't always tell what happened to the fax we requested go out). We plan to add outbound fax support for the gateways when they release a version that has some fixes we need in the reporting. I don't have a time frame for when those changes will be in place in IOS at this point, however.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content