Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What service on Exchange notifies Unity of new messages?

What is the service/module/UDP thread on Exchange, 5.5 or 2000, that notifies the AvMsgStoreMonitor when a new vmail is left in the message store? Also, how do you know that Unity is in UMR mode, other than seeing the UnityMTA folder filling up? I ask this for monitoring purposes with a NetIq agent or something else. I want to know if Exchange stops notifying Unity of new messages and/or if Unity goes in to UMR mode. Thanks.

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: What service on Exchange notifies Unity of new messages?

Unity is actually getting messages via MAPI when the state of an inbox changes such that we know to update the lamp and/or trigger a notification dialout etc... You can check out the "Unity Architecture Overview" paper on the Documents page of www.CiscoUnityTools.com - it goes into some detail on how the notification and triggering process works across the services in Unity with Exchange and Domino.

Unity should log an event log message when it kicks into UMR mode - I believe NetIQ already checks for these messages in it's client.

You can't really tell if Exchange stops notifying us of mailbox changes - there's really no way to do that (if there was we would know immediately if there was a problem and we'd simply reinitiate the MAPI thread/login as necessary).

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content