Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Where does the gateway router sit?

Many of the documents I've seen indicate the gateway router sit at the edge of the network. It would connect to both the PSTN and the WAN, providing connection to both phone and data networks.

However, the solution provider told us the new gateway router we're purchasing should be isolated behind our Pix firewall for security reason.

We're in process of implementing a single site VoIP in our building, and the voice gateway router, according to our solution provider, will provide only voice services.

I thought the gateway would replace our existing old router and sit on the edge so that if we ever need to connect multiple branch offices, they could connect to it in the future.

What do you guys think??

1 REPLY

Re: Where does the gateway router sit?

If the router is only providing voice services, i agree completely with the solution provider that it should sit behind the firewall. There is no reason to put it outside the firewall. I would also keep the voice and data services on separate routers (unless $$ is a concern). If you use the same router for data and voice, its a single point of failure.

HTH

Sankar

PS: Please remember to rate posts!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content