Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Where/How to get started?

Hi everyone,

Hope someone can take a minute to set me off in the right direction here. First let me admit to the obvious, I have never set up an VOIP system (other than Skype) but have a grande plan here. I have a Cisco 1760, and a 1751v, I have two Pix 515, and a couple of 2950-24's to get started with. What I'd like to do is use this (and find out what else I'd need) to set up a VoIP system between my apartment in Tokyo and my apartment in Atlanta across my IPSec VPN. I have a 40Mbps DSL line in Tokyo, and and 1.5Mbps DSL in Atlanta. Ideally what I'd like to be able to do is have a setup where each router in each location has a phone line attached to it and routing set up so that I can call Japan from the USA and route the calls through the VPN to the Japan phone line and vice-versa. The problem is, I can't find any howto guides or the like to help me get started even setting up the abillity to call from apartment to apartment, let alone routing calls out to POTS lines. Can anyone help me get started? Can anyone help me find guides for what equipment I need? (hopefully even costs?) And how to start configuring things?

I know right now I need to upgrade RAM on both routers to support IOS versions that can do DSL and VoIP. I also know that I need the proper VICs and Handsets (which handset would be right for me though, cost is a big factor, and I doubt I need anything too fancy). From there, I'm not sure what I can do about Call Manager, can I use express on these routers? Do I need to install CallManager at both locations? What about using standard POTS phones (with adapters)?

This project has two reasons for existance right now.... One is that it can get quite expensive calling the US. And it's a pain to have to use a PC for Skype all the time. Secondly when I have to take care of business in the US, it's an even bigger pain getting somone in the US to call the number here that I need to dial, putting it on speaker phone, and using Skype to Speakerphone to curve high LD bills. Additionally, when I'm in the US, it's hard to deal with getting hold of my offices, and my Girlfriend. Finally, this is a good way to learn how to do this so I can eventually setup my offices with a similiar configuration. (7 offices in 6 countries, soon to be 9 offices in 8 countries).

Can anyone provide some information or links for me?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

--Serp

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: Where/How to get started?

Here is the list of Voice solutions that Cisco offers for Small & Medium category businesses. You can get a better idea from these.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns339/ns395/ns359/networking_solutions_packages_list.html

You can also refer to the IP Telephony Solution Reference Network Design (SRND) to decide the design of your network.

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns268/c649/ccmigration_09186a0080479538.pdf

Views
Helpful
Replies