Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Which one should I use? FXO or FXS?

I have the following senario:

phones ---- panasonic keyphone system ---- cisco 1760v ---- International leased circuit 256k ----cisco 1760v ---- panasonic keyphone system ---- phones.

I need 4 calls to be able to go through the leased circuit at one time. So FXO or FXS for both cisco 1760v? and how many VIC do I need per router?

Thanks a lot.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Which one should I use? FXO or FXS?

E&M ports would give the greatest flexibility as they support DID, however, you need to have E&M ports available on your Panasonic KSU. I would say that it's doubtful if your KSU has the proper ports. The easiest method is to use FXO ports on your routers and connect them to analog station ports on the Panasonic KSUs.

Analog ports provide a single active call per port.

I think it was mentioned in one of the replies earlier as well- one analog port carries one call so inorder for you to have 4 simultaneous calls, you need 4 FXO ports on the router. They can either be 2VIC-2FXOs in a NM-2V or you can get the new NM-HD-2V. These are new modules and more info can be found on the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps5365/products_data_sheet09186a0080191d41.html

hope that helps

7 REPLIES

Are you interested in making calls between router to router or these calls are between the phones connected to the panasonic key system.

If you are interested in making calls between the routers you will need FXS ports. You will need 2 - VIC2-2FXS for each router, which gives you 4 FXS ports which allows you to connect analog phones to it.

You may be able to make more calls based on the codec you have configured between the routers.

I need to make calls between phones to phones. In addition, I must be able to call clients in foreign country by routing the calls to my office in that foreign country then the calls go out from my foreign office to my foreign client as if I am making local calls in that foreign country.

And what about E&M ports, VIC-2E/M? What is that?

E&M ports would give the greatest flexibility as they support DID, however, you need to have E&M ports available on your Panasonic KSU. I would say that it's doubtful if your KSU has the proper ports. The easiest method is to use FXO ports on your routers and connect them to analog station ports on the Panasonic KSUs.

Analog ports provide a single active call per port.

I want 4 calls to be able to go through the international leased circuit simultaneously, am I right to say that I need 2 FXO cards per router?

I think it was mentioned in one of the replies earlier as well- one analog port carries one call so inorder for you to have 4 simultaneous calls, you need 4 FXO ports on the router. They can either be 2VIC-2FXOs in a NM-2V or you can get the new NM-HD-2V. These are new modules and more info can be found on the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps5365/products_data_sheet09186a0080191d41.html

hope that helps

Consider above message slightly incorrect.

1760-V does not have slots to carry any type of "NM" module (doesn't matter NM-2V or NM-HD-2V). So your option is to have two VIC-2FXO in each 1760-V (in case you connect it to PBX internal lines - extensions). The newer cards - VIC2-2FXO can be used in 1760-V only with the latest IOS possible.

Views
Helpful
Replies