cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why does CiscoUnity_LogMgr Open a New Log File Every 1/2 Hour?

JeffG1
Level 3
Level 3

AVODBC~1 opened new diagnostic file. I see this Every 1/2 Hour.

I have gone into the Diagnostic and changed the Log Settings. It was set at 0, I set it at 8 Hours and rebooted to make sure... However its still doing this every 1/2 hour...

This is Unity 4.01

6 Replies 6

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you sure that's a diagnostic file? I suspect you're seeing new data_AvCsMgr_xxx.txt files... diagnostic files start with "diag_".

If that's the case this is the reports scanvenger waking up by default every 30 minutes to rummage around and drop things into the ReportDb database tables as necessary. This doesn't cause a problem - when you run reports or use the Unity Diagnostic tools to get info about a particular day/time frame it automatically appends the information in all the logs together for you. The files the log manager is creating are pretty small typically (4 or 8 lines in most cases).

If you _are_ seeing diag files then I suspect the report manager or something similiar has some traces turned on - the reports scavenger is the only thing that runs every 30 minutes that I know of so it's very likely related to that process in one way or another.

Actually... banging around on this a little bit it turns out that the scavenger spins up a new AvCsMgr data file AND a ODBC diag file every time it wakes up and does it's thing - it destroys the instance of the AvODBC object and recreates it when it wakes up again. The way the log manager works is that when an object fires up it creates a diag file for it every time even if no diag flags are turned on for that component.

That's a little odd I suppose but again, it's a 4 line log every 30 minutes - this isn't going to hurt anything, it just looks goofy. Seems to me we should only be opening a diag file if one or more diag flags are enabled for the component in question - not the end of the world but I'll take it up with the dev folks involved.

Ok yes its only a log entry its just annoying to see this fill up the log file. I also have several entries for the ODBC connection as well... So In the end I get about 4 to 5 entries every 1/2 hour. In a 24 hour period That generates about 240 entries.... Which easily becomes Thousands of entries in a week or two

you should only be getting 2 entries for every half an hour - I checked my two boxes and several in the lab and that's consistent. If you're getting 4 or 5 something else is going on or you've changed the log cycling time (which you may have done fiddling in the diagnostic tool) or upped the cycle time on the scavender (which can be done in the registry) or something along those lines.

yes, it's annoying but you can clear out those files in there as often as you feel necessary - the settings for how long data/diag files hang around is adjusted in the SA on the configuration page - the File Cleanup section lets you dictate seperately how long data vs. diags vs. report output hangs out. By default it's 7 days.

You can have many thousands of files in that directory without a problem - I understand from a cosmetic standpoint it's annoying but it really isn't going to cause any issues.

As I mentioned, I'll chat with the dev folks involved and see if there's a way to keep this from happening or limiting it to just the one data file instead of both the data and diag files...

Ok Here is what I get every 1/2 hour:

Information 3/12/2003 12:58:59 PM CiscoUnity_LogMgr Run 1004 N/A CSPCO-VMS01

Information 3/12/2003 12:57:06 PM CiscoUnity_LogMgr Startup 1000 N/A CSPCO-VMS01

Information 3/12/2003 12:57:06 PM CiscoUnity_LogMgr Startup 1000 N/A CSPCO-VMS01

Information 3/12/2003 12:57:06 PM CiscoUnity_LogMgr Run 1004 N/A CSPCO-VMS01

I agree This is only cosmetic...

ah... you're talking about entries in the event log? I was talking about files in the commserver\logs directory...

yeah, you'll get those entries in the event log every time any component fires up and since the report manager "wakes up" every 30 minutes you'll get that info.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: