cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

windows 2000 ready??

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

We are now using active voice on a OS2 station. We currently have about 450 voicemail accounts and will expand to 1000 by summer. We need to go to the unity product. We have the budget and are ready. We have a large windows 2000 network and exchange 2000. We have been waiting for unity to become a windows 2000 product. I have several questions as follows:<br>1. will Unity run on a windows 2000 network?<br>2. Is Unity a true win 2000 product?<br>3. Does unity utilize win 2000 Active Directory?<br>4. Does unity interface with exchange 2000?<br>** if any of these questions is no, please give a timeline when they are expected to be complete. <br><br><br><br>Tim McNeese

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

Unity will run fine on a Win2K server in a Win2K network. You need to be sure to change the LDAP port off of 389, of course, but other than that nothing special is needed here.

We do not use the ActiveDirectory at this point and do no support the ActiveDirectory connector being installed on the Unity server. We wont use Active Directory as our directory until Unity 2.5 is released.

We don’t support Exchange 2000 at all… this mean no Unity server interaction whatsoever with Exchange 2000 is acceptable. That includes trying to use the ADC to sync information from the Active Directory/Exchange2000 boxes to our box running Exchange 5.5. Multiple problems were found with this scenario in testing and it was deemed unsupportable.

I can’t give you a timeline… 2.5 is in active development and will definitely have full Exchange 2000 support, but I don’t have a release date we can publish at this point.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

you mentioned you have to change the ldap port off of 389. Why is this and is there a specific port I should be using?

Win2K uses 389 for it's AD stuff. This is also the default for Exchange 5.5s LDAP port so you have a problem when installing Ex5.5 on a Win2K machine.

You can change it to any free port, I normally suggest 1024 since it's easy to remember, a nice round number and I know it works.

Unity 2.4.0 or later will ask you for the LDAP port at the begning of install for this reason (since we can't tell where you might have put it).

also, lots of folks trip up on this... be sure to change the LDAP port on the local Unity server in the Exchange admin and to clear the checkbox that over rides this with the site defaults. Kind of a tricky interface.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: