Cisco Support Community
Community Member

I have a 6608 in my 6509. I've heard two things about it, and would like to get a 2nd opinion:

1. You can not purchase a fractional PRI for the 6608. You must purchase all 23+1 DS0s on the PRI for it to work properly -- even if you only need two or three lines.

2. You can not assign one PRI to a partition. I'd like to have the ability to have different tenants use a PRI exclusively.

I want to provide VoIP in a multi-tenant building, but I don't have the ability to provide LD billing records and the management of that. I'd therefore like to have the tenant purchase the PRI, and I'll provide the technology on top of it (i.e. Call Manager, gateways, phones, etc.).

Any thoughts.

Re: WS-6608-T1

The first is true.

For the secon, any gateway device (except fxs mgcp) can not have a partition assigned to it. This is because a partition is only assigned to devices that have phone numbers assigned to them. In the case of a gateway, they do not have phone numbers directly assigned, instead a route pattern is created and points to the gateway.

You can do what you want to do, but you have to assign the partition at the route pattern and point it to the corresponding gateway.

1. True story, there is no mechanism in Call Manager to handle that. You could use CAS T1s, but that limits functionality.

2. You can set up partitions and calling search spaces for each tenant. Example; create a tenant1_LD partition and add a route pattern of 9.@ to that partition, and assign the tenant 1 PRI. You would then need a Calling Search Space like tenant1_LD that includes the tenant1_LD partitition, and assign that CSS to the phones for tenant 1. All calls from tenant 1 would only match route patterns that use their gateway.

You might also look at using calling number billing from your carrier, which would let multiple tenants share PRIs. You can pass all the DIDs through or manipulate the calling number so all calls form tenant 1 originate from a single number, and tenant 2 another number. Of course this would depend on the desires of your customer as well. The advantage of this approach would be better fault tolerance, or perhaps you could get by with a single PRI.

Have Fun, Dave

Cisco Employee

Number 1 is partially correct. With the fix for CSCdw78580 you can use a fractional PRI by busying out the upper channels provided the ISDN protocol supports busyout:

This feature is to allow CallManager to change individual BChannel

Maintenance status for PRI interface in real time for troubleshooting.

There are 5 service parameter defined in the ADVANCED service parameter section.

The service parameter names are:

It allows maximum 5 PRI gateway to use this feature at the same time.

Note: To use this feature, the "Enable Status Poll" flag on the gateway configuration

web page must be true(checked), update and reset gateway.

The default value for that flag is unchecked.

S0/DS1-0@SDA123456789ABC = 0000 1111 0000 0000 0000 0001

(24 bits for T1. Channel number begins with 1 to 24 from left to right.

The last one is DChannel and won't be affected.

In this example, 5th-8th BChannels are out of service).

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 1111 1111

(32 bits for E1. BChannel number begins with 1 to 32 from left to right.

The 16th channel is DChannel. The last bit won't affect any channel.

In this example, 25th-31th channels are marked out of service).

The DEVICE NAME MUST be exact the same as the gateway name on the top of

the gatway configuration web page. Please copy and paste that field into

this service parameter to avoid any manually inputting mistake.

"=" is mandatory and unique to distinguish the DEVICE NAME and

BCHANNEL MAINTENANCE STATUS = xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

Where x can be:

0: in service;

1: graceful out of service (change channel status until active call ends

if there is an active call on that channel);

2: forceful out of service (tear down active call first, then change channel

status immediately if there is an active call on that channel).

Any other value will be treated as invalid and won't take effect.

The total number of 'x' MUST be either 24 for T1 or 32 for E1.

Any other invalid length or mismatch(e.g. 24 for E1) will be trated as error,

and no action will be taken for that device.

SPACE: optional.

The spaces between device name and "=", between .=. and

BCHANNEL MAINTENANCE STATUS, between x and x, are all optional.

No space is allowed inside the DEVICE NAME field.

CreatePlease to create content