Views
Helpful
Replies

XCODE questions - which Device Pool, NetMeeting

kbyrd
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, I have a transcoding question:

1) I have a G711 only resource (NetMeeting) defined as an H323-Client and a Cisco IP Phone. Each are in different regions/Device Pools with calls between them defined as G729. I want to define a transcoder so that Calls from the IP Phone to NetMeeting and vice versa are transcoded so that the IP Phone see a G729 stream and NetMeeting sees a G711 stream.

What Device Pool is the transcoder placed in? The IP Phone's? The H323-Client's? Does it matter who initiated the call?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It does matter which DP you set the XCODER to, because you cannot apply region settings to a device other than through device pools.

So if you put XCODER in DP1, calls between H323 phone and XCODER will be g711 as they are in same region. If you put XCODER in DP2, H323 phone cannot place a call through the XCODER as it doesnt support g729.

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts@!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Say H323 phone is in DP1, IP phone is in DP2. You can put the transcoder in DP1. Set region in DP1 to R1 and R2 in DP2. Between R1 and R2, use g729. Within R1 and within R2 use g711. That should work!

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Thanks, Sankar. The question I have - does it matter which DP you define the XCODER and does it matter in which direction the call is made?

It does matter which DP you set the XCODER to, because you cannot apply region settings to a device other than through device pools.

So if you put XCODER in DP1, calls between H323 phone and XCODER will be g711 as they are in same region. If you put XCODER in DP2, H323 phone cannot place a call through the XCODER as it doesnt support g729.

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts@!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW