cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR and OTV implementation/documentation

jimbuvens
Level 1
Level 1

i am testing the implementation of otv using the asr's not the 7k's, the code just came out to support it. The config is different on the asr compared to the 7k's and i can not find any doc's worth while on the asr's, i have read the white papers which all refer to the 7k's but need some good doc's on the asr implementation. we are looking at using this to do the dr from one dc to the other, get away from sunguard etc......   the dc's are long distance, like US to Europe, can this operate in this environment, we are a global corp and i do have other dc's here in the US but would rather do it between our 2 biggest dc's, if there is a distance limitation please specify, i have dedicated oc3's between.  also i have read all the issues that others seem to be having with multi-cast or unicast over the wan, we are running on our own mpls wan which is not multicast currently, i have read about the aed function with the 7k's and assume this is the way to implement with asr's.....   one good drawing with correct config's would be greatly appreciated, have searched ccie sites on web, your site, etc.....    can't find anything really even worth reading, i assume i'm missing them somewhere......

thanks in advance for any help,

jim

7 Replies 7

rymoffet
Level 1
Level 1

James, here's the current config guide for the OTV feature on the ASR1000 for IOS XE 3.5S

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/wan_otv/configuration/xe-3s/wan-otv-confg.html

To run OTV on the ASR1000 today, you need a multicast enabled WAN for OTV Edge Devices to discover neighbors.   The alternative method of deploying on a non-multicast enabled WAN is known as Adjacency Server, and this is not supported in this initial release.

Regarding the question about distance limitations, OTV doesn't have such a limitation.   However, considerations for application/protocol performance over such long distances need to be taken (one way and round trip latency).

I hope this helps,

Ryan

Thank you but I already have this one and I now have the OTV running in a lab environment. Is there any internal examples of the AED configuration or is it just like the 7K examples. I now need to get it running in an AED mode and suppress the HSRP between sites so I get local responses for each site. I understand the AED Server option is not in the code yet for the ASR so we will have to test that at a later date but need the AED function for redundancy, our sites will be long distance one in Pittsburgh PA and the other in Leverkusen Germany.

Thanks,

jim

Any idea on when unicast adjacency will be supported on an ASR? We ended up running a DMVPN, with the join interface set as a loopback interface. Then we pushed the multicast for the adjacency across the DMVPN and used an mroute to the loopback back through the tunnel, then a static route through the physical interface on the ASR. This let adjacencies form and the OTV tunnel to build like normal.

Kind of a pain but we haven't had any problems in a full meshed six site deployment.

The support for unicast core is from XE-3.9. However, using loopback interface as the join-interface is not supported yet.

diego.hernandez
Level 1
Level 1

What is not clear from the documentation is how do you filter FHRP messages from traversion the overlay on an ASR1K, from the commands I can see available in the CLI of the ASR1K the "ip arp inspection", "vlan filter" and the "redsitribute filter" commands are not available, is it possible filter these at all on the ASR1K's or is this a limitation of the platform that will be resolved in a later release of IOS-XE

Hi Diego,

FHRP messages are not sent to the other send by default. Hence, when you bring up HSRP on DC1 and DC2, both the sides will have a active HSRP device.

This is the diagram which I am talking about:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Data_Center/DCI/whitepaper/DCI_1_files/DCI_1-31.jpg

The command: 'otv filter-fhrp' is enabled by default as part of your overlay interface.

Thanks Aries, I was not aware of that command and that it was the default behaviour on the ASR1K's