cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Collapsed core network design

Marc Bouchard
Level 1
Level 1

I am a consultant, currently a CCNA studying for the CCNP, and I have been mandated to design the network infrastructure for the corporate head office of a mid sized company.

My design is based on a collapsed core network, with 2 x 4900M Switches as the core/distribution and a bunch of 2960S switches for each floor of the building.

While reading the CCNP book, I noticed I had a design 'flaw'...  Like the partial diagram below (this is not the actual design), I was planning on linking the two 4900M with a layer 2 etherchannel, and using 1 MST region with 2 instances to split the VLANs between the two core switches.

The CCNP curriculum recommends using a Layer 3 link between the core switches. I'm not sure what the benefit of doing so would or the drawback of using Layer 2 is? Any input would be more than appreciated...

Thanks,

Marc

Collapsed.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gosselic
Level 1
Level 1

With today's layer 3 switches it is easy to have a L3 Core/Distribution working at the speed of LAN ports. A L3 Core limits the need for spanning-tree, broadcast domains and the potential for network loops.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

gosselic
Level 1
Level 1

With today's layer 3 switches it is easy to have a L3 Core/Distribution working at the speed of LAN ports. A L3 Core limits the need for spanning-tree, broadcast domains and the potential for network loops.

I understand that it reduces the chances of loops, but spanning tree is still required/running no? I'm going to lab this today and come back with observations or questions if I have any

Thanks for your time,

Marc

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: