Views
Helpful
Replies

data center Design

Network Pro
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

if  you need to design a large campus area network with two 6500 and edge  switches and distribution switches what will be the best design

1. is it better to etherchannel two 6500 at the core OR is it better to run routing protocol between both the cores

2. is it better to etherchannel core switches to distrubution or run routing protocol between them ?

3. is it better to etherchannel distrubution switches to access switches or run routing protocol between them?

basically i want to know where to run routing protocol between in the cisco 3 layer architecture ?

thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Look good but I want to suggest minor changes

-----------1. use two 6500 as core and run routing protcol (either ospf or eigrp)

I am not sure about the price range of Nexus 7Ks, if they are in the same range as 6500 I will sugget to go with 7Ks.If they are not then try to buy 6500 s with VSS-SUP modules.

--------------------2. a. use two 3750 as distrubution / aggregation as run routing  protocol between 6500 and 3750 (dual connecting to each 3750 from each  core)

b. run a port channel between two cisco 3750 (layer 2)

3. use cisco 2960 as layer 2 between distribtuion and access (hsrp on 3750 to access layer)?

If you are planning on using 3750G or 3750X switches for distribution/aggregation layer, then you can stack those  switches and connect the servers or users directly to the 3750s and completely eliminate the access layer.------This will act as distribution/aggregation/access layer

------------------also where will i terminate the firewalls ? or the core or on distrubution ?

You can connect the firewall between your Core switches and exit router

HTH

Siddhartha

View solution in original post

You can enable HSRP, but it would function just like if you enabled HSRP on 1 router.  So no issues there, but if you don't have an HSRP peer its just providing an extra IP address.

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes i thought i posted in the wrong place...i thought you would provide me an asnwere instead of just sayng duplicate post !!!!!

i thought you would provide me an asnwere instead of just sayng duplicate post !!!!!

Delete one of the two (duplicate threads) and I'll post something technical to your issue.

PS:  It's night time now.  So I'll post when I wake up tomorrow.

sorry how do i delete a thread..never had to do this before..

Go to the other thread you've posted.  Upper right-hand corner under the Actions window there's an option to DELETE.

I've requested the OTHER thread be deleted. 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. is it better to etherchannel two 6500 at the core OR is it better to run routing protocol between both the cores

2. is it better to etherchannel core switches to distrubution or run routing protocol between them ?

BOTH.  You can run either a Layer 2 or Layer 3 etherchannel.  So it doesn't matter.  But deploying an etherchannel (1 Gbps, 10 Gbps, 40 Gbps, 100 Gbps) is a no-brainer.

Whether or not you want to run Layer 2 or Layer 3 etherchannel, in my opinion, depends on the desig and the size of your network.  If you have a clean sheet of paper then I'd think 20 years in the future.  I'll enable Layer 3 (IPv6 if possible) to all my switches.  Layer 3 etherchannel and fibre optic to the uplink.

so on the core you say to run layer 2 or layer 3 etherchannel - ok say if i am gong with layer 3 etherchannel then do i run any routing protocol between them ?

2. considering its a big network - then  i run routing between core and distribution switches ?

3. and do i run layer 2 between distribution and access layer ?

3. and do i run layer 2 between distribution and access layer ?

If I was designing a network, I'd run Layer 3 etherchannel, PERIOD.

The main point-of-contention is the COST.  If I was to deploy a Layer 3 all the way down to the access layer then I need to have a switch that will support routing.

Whether or not you should run Layer 2 or Layer 3 is all up to you and how to push a business case about this.

what is cisco best practise?

According to Ciso best practices VLAN localization is the best option, this will lead to 2 designs

1.Routed distribution layer

2. routing upto access layer.

Option 2 is costlier than option 1 and buliding a routed 3750 stack is an example of option 2.

"------1. is it better to etherchannel two 6500 at the core OR is it better to run routing protocol between both the cores"

If you configure any VLANs on the core (Collapsed core distribution model)  then you would need layer 2 ether channell for HSRP but its not a best practice.So a layer 3 ether channel with routing protocol ( either EIGRP or OSPF)

"-------2. is it better to etherchannel core switches to distrubution or run routing protocol between them ?"

Cisco recommends to create a layer 3 distribution block for each IDF (or for building based on your design) and a layer 3 distribution block for the Data Center (based on the size of your datacenter you can add its own core switches)

So a layer 3 ether channel with routing protocol( EIGRP or OSPF ) between core and distribution switches.

"-------3. is it better to etherchannel distrubution switches to access switches or run routing protocol between them?"

If you go with option1-routed distribution and layer 2 access layer then you will need a layer 3 ether ether channel (EIGRP or OSPF) betwwen 2 distribution switches for routing redundancy and layer 2 ether channel for HSRP and layer 2 redundancy.You can connect each access layer switch with both the distribution switches and STP to avoid loops.

If you go with option 2 -Routed access layer then there won't be any STP and you will run routed links between distribution and access layer. You can uses a pair of 4506 switches or 3750 stack switches for this whole stack acts as a Distribution/access layer.

Siddhartha

danrya
Level 1
Level 1

I would recommend that you keep it simple.  If your going to run L3, then I wouldn't recommend L3 etherchannels.  Routing protocols are pretty fast at detecting failures, and if you concerned with increasing the speed, use BFD on the direct links.  Equal Cost Multipath (ECMP) is capable of using multiple equal cost L3 links for traffic distribution.

So, here's what I would recommend:

1.  Do you need VLAN's to be accessible on multiple access switches?

If no, then use multiple L3 links to the access and use OSPF/ISIS (and possibly BFD) to ECMP over all of the links.  By using individual L3 links, you can also connect to multiple distribution switches.

If yes, then use L2 port-channel or vPC (multi-chassis port-channel) from distribution to access.

2.  Always use individual L3 links in the Core and the distribution if possible.

Again, if you have multiple links, and you add port-channels, and then add routing protocols, it get's more complicated, and more things can break.  Let the routing protocols do there job.

Dan

so this is what my understanding is from the posts above. please correct me if i am wrong

considering the cost is not an issue and business is willing to invest in what ever devices we want .

i will go by the cisco 3 layer architecture:

1. use two 6500 as core and run routing protcol (either ospf or eigrp)

2. a. use two 3750 as distrubution / aggregation as run routing protocol between 6500 and 3750 (dual connecting to each 3750 from each core)

b. run a port channel between two cisco 3750 (layer 2)

3. use cisco 2960 as layer 2 between distribtuion and access (hsrp on 3750 to access layer)?

will this work ?

also where will i terminate the firewalls ? or the core or on distrubution ?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: