cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

difference between FIC and FEX

Muhammad Rafi
Level 1
Level 1

I am just the new bee in Data Center technology and try to understand the concept between Fabric Interconnect and Fabric Extenders, what are the differences.

Thanks in Advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Hello,

A Fabric Interconnect is a device that is half switch half UCS (Cisco servers) Manager. In the Fabric Interconnect resides UCS Manager where you as a user give life to the real server through a Service Profile where you define stuff like the amount of vNICs/vHBAs your server will have, the VLANs/VSANs that will go through the VNICs/vHBAs, the boot order, WWPNs/WWNNs, in summary, the real virtualized server is define there.

The FEX is a device that is normally a logical extension of a parent switch which lets you take advantage of the EoR (End of the Row) and ToR (Top of the Rack) designs.

The FEX is in essence a a remote virtual line card of the parent switch, which in turn can be, for example, a Nexus 7K/5K.  The FEX does not switch packets, that is done by the parent switch; even upgrades for the Fabric Extender take place only if the parent switch is upgraded.

If you are using a B series servers solution, you will need a Fabric Interconnect, which need to be connected to a type of FEX called I/O Module (IOM) which is an enhanced version of a regular Nexus 2000 (which is another type of FEX).  The IOM is an enhanced version of a typical FEX cause it also manages the chassis where you would install the blade servers (known as B series servers)

As you can see, their description and functionality is totally different, so I hope I made my point, but let me know if you would like me to expand a lit but on their definition, use and capabilities.

Regards,

-Kenny

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Hello,

A Fabric Interconnect is a device that is half switch half UCS (Cisco servers) Manager. In the Fabric Interconnect resides UCS Manager where you as a user give life to the real server through a Service Profile where you define stuff like the amount of vNICs/vHBAs your server will have, the VLANs/VSANs that will go through the VNICs/vHBAs, the boot order, WWPNs/WWNNs, in summary, the real virtualized server is define there.

The FEX is a device that is normally a logical extension of a parent switch which lets you take advantage of the EoR (End of the Row) and ToR (Top of the Rack) designs.

The FEX is in essence a a remote virtual line card of the parent switch, which in turn can be, for example, a Nexus 7K/5K.  The FEX does not switch packets, that is done by the parent switch; even upgrades for the Fabric Extender take place only if the parent switch is upgraded.

If you are using a B series servers solution, you will need a Fabric Interconnect, which need to be connected to a type of FEX called I/O Module (IOM) which is an enhanced version of a regular Nexus 2000 (which is another type of FEX).  The IOM is an enhanced version of a typical FEX cause it also manages the chassis where you would install the blade servers (known as B series servers)

As you can see, their description and functionality is totally different, so I hope I made my point, but let me know if you would like me to expand a lit but on their definition, use and capabilities.

Regards,

-Kenny

Thanks Kenny, 

I have gone through couple of CBT nuggets for DC and found the same thing what you mentioned here. 

appreciate your response. 

Glad to help :D

-Kenny