Helpful
Replies

Fabric Extender 2348UPQ local flow redirect

dukenuk96
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all!

I have two quextions:

1. On the link http://blogs.cisco.com/datacenter/meet-the-next-generation-fabric-extender-ciscos-nexus-2300-series there is a phrase "Hardware-capable local flow redirect for architectures that require intra-rack traffic to reduce bandwidth". And no additional info about how it works and on which NX-OS version. Can anybody give me the link with good explanation of this technology?

2. On the attached diagram we have two heads 56128P with dual-home FEXes 2348UPQ, servers are connected to FEXes using LACP and enhanced vPC. The question - is FEX smart enough to make traffic forwarding between these two servers locally, without first moving it to the head 56128P? In which document I can proof or unproof this?

2 Replies 2

Rajeshkumar Gatti
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Answers below

1. On the link http://blogs.cisco.com/datacenter/meet-the-next-generation-fabric-extender-ciscos-nexus-2300-series there is a phrase "Hardware-capable local flow redirect for architectures that require intra-rack traffic to reduce bandwidth". And no additional info about how it works and on which NX-OS version. Can anybody give me the link with good explanation of this technology?

<Raj> This feature is not yet supported in software. I have reached out to our internal teams to remove this statement to avoid confusion. Thanks for bringing it to our attn.

2. On the attached diagram we have two heads 56128P with dual-home FEXes 2348UPQ, servers are connected to FEXes using LACP and enhanced vPC. The question - is FEX smart enough to make traffic forwarding between these two servers locally, without first moving it to the head 56128P? In which document I can proof or unproof this?

<Raj> The Fex cannot do local switching so it has to rely on the parent for mocing packets between its local HIF ports. The statement in question 1 where we talk about "hardware capable local flow direct" on the 2300 is basically equivalent to local switching and when the software has this support, then we will NOT have to go thru the parent switch for moving traffic between FEX ports.

Thanks,

Raj

Hi, @Rajeshkumar Gatti!

Is there some news about "Hardware-capable local flow redirect" feature? Is it now implemented and if so, in which software version?