Views
Helpful
Replies

LACP/vPC configuration steps

Craddockc
Level 3
Level 3

Community,

I know this seems like a very amateur type question but I did want to ask before I implement the changes.

We have two Nexus 9Ks that have a multitude of 2K FEXs uplinked to them in "straight through" mode. My task is to uplink a server that uses 4 NICs/HBAs to the FEXs. Two links from the server will go to FEX ports 104/1/21 - 22 on FEX-A and the other two will go to FEX ports 104/1/21 - 22 on FEX-B. The channel protocol will be LACP. My question is this:

In what order should I do this? Does it matter? I just want to make sure im doing this correctly. The vPC peer link is already configured and there are already several servers linked up the same way, I just personally have never done this before.

I was thinking of doing it in the following order:

Nexus9K-1(Config)# interface eth104/1/21 - 22

Nexus9K-1(Config-if)# switchport mode trunk

Nexus9K-1(Config-if)# speed 1000

Nexus9K-1(Config-if)# duplex full

Nexus9K-1(Config-if)# channel-group 30 mode active

Nexus9K-1(Config-if)#exit

Nexus9K-1(Config)# Interface po30

Nexus9K-1(Config-if)# vpc 30

Nexus9K-2(Config)# Interface eth104/1/21 - 22

Nexus9K-2(Config-if)# switchport mode trunk

Nexus9K-2(Config-if)# speed 1000

Nexus9K-2(Config-if)# duplex full

Nexus9K-2(Config-if)# channel-group 30 mode active

Nexus9K-2(Config-if)#exit

Nexus9K-2(Config)# Interface po30

Nexus9K-2(Config-if)# vpc 30

Does anyone see any issues with this order? Thanks for the feedback.

Chris.

3 Replies 3

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

The "vPC Example Configuration" section of the following link covers the sequence of steps needed to configure vPC and LACP in detail

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/4_2/nx-os/interfaces/configuration/guide/if_nxos/if_vPC.html#pgfId-1560960

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

Amit Verma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Chris,

Configuration seems to be good.

Rick1776
Level 5
Level 5
The order you have them in should work just fine as long as the vPC domain is up and running (peer-link and keep-alive).
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: