Views
Helpful
Replies

N7K with F1 VDC, F2 VDC and Storage VDC - Configuration/Support Help

jrvannoy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

We currently have an N7k running version 6.2.(6)  with a default ethernet VDC and a storage VDC.  We are running F1 modules (N7K-F132XP-15) and share the interfaces across to the storage VDC.

We recently purchased an F2 module to connect our HP Bladecenter Chassis via a B22 FEX module.  We were told by our account team that this was supported in our environment.  I created a third VDC for the F2 module and now want to share those ports into the storage VDC.  

When I try to add support for the F2 card in the storage VDC I get this error:

nyc-nx02(config-vdc)# limit-resource module-type f1 f2
This will cause all ports of unallowed types to be removed from this vdc. Continue (y/n)? [yes] 
ERROR: Not all listed line card types are supported in a storage vdc on the current switch
nyc-nx02(config-vdc)#

I understand that the F1 and F2 modules are not supported in same VDC, but can they be shared in a storage VDC on the same switch?  Before I continue troubleshooting I want to make sure this is the supported and best practice for this setup.

Thanks for your help

1 Reply 1

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think what you need is shared ports (access) splitting into storage VDC and ethernet VDC ?

see attachment

and

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/virtual_device_context/configuration/guide/vdc_nx-os_cfg/vdc_overview.html#wp1087325

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: