Views
Helpful
Replies

New N7K-F248XP-25

Luciano Vigano'
Level 1
Level 1

Ciao,

in my previous post I understand that this linecard will be officially released on 18th ... and today I discovered something new in the DS published.

"This extremely comprehensive set of Layer 2 and  Layer 3  functions makes this module ideal for data center networks,  where  density, performance, and continuous system operation are  critical."

Performance

• 720-mpps Layer 2 and Layer 3 forwarding capacity for both IPv4 and IPv6 packets

The DS is here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9402/data_sheet_c78-685394.html

is this new linecard N7K-F248XP-25 a L2/L3 like the M series???

And, according to the Dynamic Configuration Tool it's stated:

"A separate VDC is needed when deploying the N7K-F248XP-25 modules in a  chassis that also contains other families of modules (i.e. N7K-M1xxx and  N7K-F1xxx).The VDC feature is enabled by the N7K-ADV1K9 license. A  separate VDC is NOT required when the chassis contains only  N7K-F248XP-25 modules."

And also NX-OS Version 6 required ...

Any ideas??

Ciao e grazie!

Luciano

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Robert,

The F2 module is L2 and L3 capable.  It is quite a step up from F1 as it has no L3 capabilites, plus adding FEX to the F2 is a great improvement.  As far as F2 vs M1, the M1 still has larger L3 tables and can hold more routes in hardware as well as run OTV.  So the two types of modules are for different locations in your data center.  M1 is a great fit for your routing edge due to this.

Lucinao,

For fabric 2 on 7010 and 7018 you must have NX-OS 6. 

As far as the new VDC requirement for F2.  Since the Nexus 7000s modules all have their own forwarding engines they must all run in a compatible mode.  Think of it like mixing a 6500 with sup2 and a module with a DFC3...you can't do it.

So instead of just saying your chassis can only contain F2 or F1/M1 we are able to seperate the "generations" up by VDCs within the same chassis.

Chad

View solution in original post

Correct,

F2 architecture is also based on SOC (switch on chip). It has a single Fabric ASIC though in comparison to F1 32-port 10g card. It also has all port wire rate with local switching.  Also all ports wire rate through Fabric - but only with 2nd generation Fabric modules which Luciano talked in the begining.

It also should have improved L2 latency in comparison even with F1 module.

Nik,

HTH,
Niko

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Luciano Vigano'
Level 1
Level 1

Finally also the DS for the Fabric 2 modules for 7010 and 7018 is out ...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9402/ps9512/data_sheet_c78-684211_ps9402_Products_Data_Sheet.html

... and in order to use the new Fabric2 (for 7010 and 7018) you must have the NX-OS ver 6 ...?!?!?!?!?!!?

robert.horrigan
Level 2
Level 2

Luciano,

Thanks for the research.  Seems like the F2 series modules deprecate the M1 and F1.  I'd still like to see some better info on the L3 capabilities.

Hi Robert,

The F2 module is L2 and L3 capable.  It is quite a step up from F1 as it has no L3 capabilites, plus adding FEX to the F2 is a great improvement.  As far as F2 vs M1, the M1 still has larger L3 tables and can hold more routes in hardware as well as run OTV.  So the two types of modules are for different locations in your data center.  M1 is a great fit for your routing edge due to this.

Lucinao,

For fabric 2 on 7010 and 7018 you must have NX-OS 6. 

As far as the new VDC requirement for F2.  Since the Nexus 7000s modules all have their own forwarding engines they must all run in a compatible mode.  Think of it like mixing a 6500 with sup2 and a module with a DFC3...you can't do it.

So instead of just saying your chassis can only contain F2 or F1/M1 we are able to seperate the "generations" up by VDCs within the same chassis.

Chad

Chad,

Thanks for the info.  Much appreciated.

Hi.

F2 cards mention switch on a chip. i suppose an F2 card is like a F1 with more throughput and CEF, am I right ? (no EARL)

Correct,

F2 architecture is also based on SOC (switch on chip). It has a single Fabric ASIC though in comparison to F1 32-port 10g card. It also has all port wire rate with local switching.  Also all ports wire rate through Fabric - but only with 2nd generation Fabric modules which Luciano talked in the begining.

It also should have improved L2 latency in comparison even with F1 module.

Nik,

HTH,
Niko

Chad and Nikolay,

thanks for the infos

One doubt arise again ... is the F2 module able to support FCoE ?

If yes, can you use it whit 2 VDC config (one for FC and the other one for Ethernet) ?

And what happened if I have an M series which is used for peer-link and k-alive link? Do I need to create a new series of link?

Ciao e grazie!

Luciano

Hi Luciano,

Yes it supports FCoE (but Nx-Os to support that is subject for verification ) and multiple VDCs so what you thought of - is possible. The thing is that M1 will still stay there for adavanced IOS features like MPLS, OTV and LISP. Those will not be supported by F2. But F2 as I said adding Fabric Path and FCoE support in comparison to M1.

One thing - F2 will not work with M1 in same VDC - thus the new peer-link will be needed for F2.

Forgot to mention numbers before - with F2 fabric (all 5 fabric cards used) F2 card can do line rate - 48*10=480. Fabric is 550 capable. Though M1 still have more memory for L3 prefixes.

Nik

HTH,
Niko

tumarha
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All

I have some wonder about do N7K-F248XP-25 require to use with FAB-2 or not? I try to do on Configuration Tool with FAB-1 and N7K-F248XP-25, no any error found. I also try to check for all DS, but no any reference about N7K-F248XP-25 require  FAB-2 or not?

Please give me some advice. Thank you very much.

Best regards

Wisit

Hi

The F2 Module works with Fabric1, but the F2 module requires 480Gbps  of fabric connectivity to work at line rate.

5x Fabric2  modules (5x 110G per slot) is the recommended fabric configuration in order to use the F2 card with the optimal redundancy and performance potential.

Please consider that fabric modules can be replaced on live system without reloading the box. But it's highly not recommended to run the chassis on mix-fabric mode.

HTH,

Alex

Dear Alex

Thank you very much for your advice.

Best regards

Wisit

hi, i was reading that, actually im designing a solution with nexus if i undertood the F2 card can work with 3 F2 module? or i need to put the 5 modules in order to use this card?

thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: