Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1010 Deployment Process

sabihurrehman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Initially we deployed VSM on a VM and that was working fine. Now the customer has bought a 1010 appliance and wants us to configure VSMs on the 1010 appliance.

I just want to confirm that the steps that I can up with after going through cisco documents is the right approach.

1) Boot up 1010 appliance complete the intial configuration i.e.

a) setup admin password and uplink type

b) set control vlan id, domain id, mgmt id

c) set the mgmt0 address

d) configure the rest of the settings

2) Boot up 1010 secondary appliance and set the domain id and control vlan id and mgmt id.

After this I will be able to see the active and primary chassis in sh module.

after the initail configuration can the chasis be used as a VSM and can I directly configure port-profiles and deploy vem ?

Or do i need to install VSM as a VSB and then configure port-profiles and deploy vem?

And when I deploy VSM as a Virtual services blade i need to share the management network, what else should be taken care of ?

Regards,

Sabih

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mwronkow
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Sabih,

The migration guides has exact steps for moving from a VSM on ESX environment to N1010.  This process allows you to migrate the VSM w/o the need to reinstall / reconfigure on the N1010s.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_2_1_s_p_1_3/software/configuration/guide/n1010_vsvcs_cfg_6migrate.html

The management, control, packet vlans need to be shared between the N1010/VSB & existing VSM for a successful migration.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Matthew

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mwronkow
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Sabih,

The migration guides has exact steps for moving from a VSM on ESX environment to N1010.  This process allows you to migrate the VSM w/o the need to reinstall / reconfigure on the N1010s.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_2_1_s_p_1_3/software/configuration/guide/n1010_vsvcs_cfg_6migrate.html

The management, control, packet vlans need to be shared between the N1010/VSB & existing VSM for a successful migration.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

I have gone through the migration guide. Thank You.

But I was more worried about the 1010 intial configuration. After the initial configuration, do i need to deploy VSM as a VSB and then migrate the working VSM or I can simply create port profiles and start using the chassis, since I have already defined the control and management vlans on the initial configuration of the chassis.

If not then why do we have to specify the control vlan in the chassis initial config? should'nt we only define it when deploying VSM only ?

Regards,

Sabih

Hi,

got the answer to my questions in the the software configuration guide ,..

cheers