Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Nexus 5K in different buildings

Hi,

I have a customer who wants to replace 4500's which are in different buildings (200m distance) with 2 x Nexus 56128P's. I know the VPC peer link between the 2 switches would be fine over om4 fibre and 10gig SR sfp's however does anyone have experience of dual-homing FEX's over such distances? Half the uplink portchannel would be over 10m SFP+ copper cables and the other would be over Fibre SFP's which would obviously have differing latency's.

I've asked Cisco who have said providing the distances were supported by the module then it would be fine, however as a backup plan I wondered if it would be possible to have the FEX failover in the result of a switch failure? So in normal service the FEX would use it's local Nexus, however if that failed it would failover to it's backup Nexus? I know the design isn't as slick however in normal service it would stop members of the same portchannel having different latency figures.

Cheers

Everyone's tags (1)
Views
Helpful
Replies