Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Nexus 7000 - FAB-1 and FAB-2 on the same chassis

Hi,

1. Is it possible to have a mix of FAB-1 and FAB-2 modules on the same Nexus 7000 chassis at the same time? Is this supported?

2. What about backward compatibility with FAB-1 supported I/O modules? For example, N7K-M132XP-12. Will this card work with FAB-2 modules on the chassis?

I am not able to find any document from Cisco on how to migrate from FAB-1 to FAB-2?

Would appreciate any help.

Regards,

Mohan Muthu

5 REPLIES

Another related question;

N7K-F248XP-25-> Does this module require FAB-2? Or will it work with FAB-1?

My understanding is the last two digits after the "hypen" in the prodcut code indicate;

2 - Require 2nd Generation FAB cards, that is FAB-2

5 - 5 Fabric cards are needed to fully utilize the backplane speed of this card.

Therefore, does is module work only with FAB-2?

With FAB-1, FAB-2, M1, F1, F2 etc...I am confused on what will work with what?

Would appreciate if anyone can point to a Cisco document to help clarify this.

Thanks,

Mohan  Muthu

Hall of Fame Super Gold

N7K-F248XP-25-> Does this module require FAB-2? Or will it work with FAB-1?

Starts with an "F2" so it's Fabric 2.

Hi Leolaohoo,

Thanks for the reply. But I believe F2 is the series of line module, like M1, F1 etc. For example, N7K-M132XP-12 will work on FAB-1. But my question is will it also work on FAB-2?

Thanks,

Mohan Muthu

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Q. Are the Nexus 7000 Fabric-2 modules compatible with existing Cisco Nexus 7000 Series I/O modules?

A. The Nexus 7000 Fabric-2 modules are compatible with all Cisco Nexus 7000 Series I/O modules. I/O modules that can operate at 230 Gbps per slot with Fabric-1 modules will continue to run at the same speed on the chassis with Fabric-2 modules. I/O modules that can operate at 550 Gbps per slot will operate at that speed in chassis with Fabric-2 modules.

Sorry, you are right.  F2 does NOT mean it's Fabric-2 cards.

Cisco Employee

Re: Nexus 7000 - FAB-1 and FAB-2 on the same chassis

Hello Mohan

It's possible to run FAB-1 and FAB-2 at the same time - but not recommended as FAB-2 will work in backward compatibility mode.

Such config possible during the migration from previous fabrics to the new ones.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/datacenter/hw/nexus7000/installation/guide/n7k_replacing.html#wp1382904

HTH,

Alex

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content