nexus 7009 bandwidth allocation per port in shared and dedicated mode:

Tabish Mirza
Level 1
Level 1

We have 7009 with following I/O modules:

N7K-F248XP-25E --

N7K-C7009-FAB-2 - qty 3

N7K-SUP2

I would like to know that each port of N7K-F248XP-25E will get how much bandwidth in shared mode. if we are using only one port group with 4 ports each port with 10gbps is it possible in shared mode to get 40gbps in one port group.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

I'm not sure there is such a thing as shared and dedicated mode on the N7K-F248XP-25E I/O module. I don't have one to test with, but you can see this if you execute the command show interface capabilities on your switch. If you look for the "Rate mode" line in the output it will show as dedicated or dedicated/shared. I suspect the ports on this module will all show as dedicated.

That said, with your configuration there is potential for some level of over-subscription.

The N7K-F248XP-25E I/O module uses a Switch on Chip (SoC) architecture with the 48-ports 10-GE ports connected via 12 SoCs, so the "port grouping" is ports 1-4=SoC 1, 5-8=SoC 2 etc.

Each of the SoC has 40-Gbps of capacity to the switch fabric ASIC, which in turn has up to 550-Gbps capacity to the switching fabric. The 550-Gbps fabric capacity is the maximum based on 110-Gbps per slot, per fabric to the installed Fabric 2 Modules. To realise this capacity there must be five Fabric 2 modules installed in the chassis.

From the hardware list you've supplied, you only have three Fabric 2 modules installed and as such you can only achieve a maximum of 330-Gbps per I/O module slot. What this means is that you have 480-Gbps host facing bandwidth, but 330-Gbps Fabric facing bandwidth, so a potential 1.45:1 over-subscription.

You can reduce the over-subscription into the switch fabric by adding additional Fabric 2 modules.

Regards

Hi Team,

I have below query for N7K-F248XP-25E=) enhanced line card.

In this line card 48 1 Gig/10 Gig  ports in 12 port groups are available (each port group containing 4 physical ports).

a.       So can you explain what does port group symbolises and what is the implication of bundling 4 ports in 1 port group.
b.      Whether each port can give 10 Gig speed after all 48 ports are populated.

Regards,

Neeraj