cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7010 NX-OS Upgrade to 6.2(2a) - medium p2p bug?

Hi,

I was doing an N7K ISSU upgrade from NX-OS 6.0(4) --> 6.2(2a) in my Test LAB prior to Production and noticed "medium p2p" command been introduced and propgated to all my layer 2 switchport interfaces (including port-channels). All the L2 links are operational and don't seems to be impacted with this additional command line. Is this command necessary on NX-OS 6.2(2a) and would there be any impact if we were to remove this "medium p2p" command line from all the L2 switchport interfaces? Is this a known bug from Cisco perspective and if there's any resolution or woraround?

Please advise. Thank you.

4 Replies 4

gwhuang5398
Level 2
Level 2

What I/O module are you using? I did an upgrade to 6.2.2a on a brand new 7K with F2e modules and I saw the same command added to all F2e module ports. I have not configured the 7K yet so looks like 6.2.2a just adds the command to all Layer 2 ports automatically.

If you don't see any changes in operational functions, it's probably not too big a concern.

Hi,

I done the upgrade in my development Test LAB with M1 and F1 cards. The command "medium p2p" only appears on the L2 switchports interfaces which on my F1 cards. I'm intending to add in new F2e cards after the upgrade and wondering would this command be automatically be added to the F2e cards when I turn them into L2 switchports or this will only happen to the L2 switchports during the NX-OS upgrade. It's either I gotta live with it or I remove this command from all the L2 switchports. In the event, if I remove this command would it impact future NX-OS upgrade (which will check of this medium p2p command) or other unforseen bugs?

Hi,

I'm not sure the medium p2p appearing in the configuration is a bug. The command, with either the p2p or broadcast keyword, has always been in the configuration but was only visible when using the all keyword e.g., show run in eth x/y all.

I've nothing to support the fact, but wonder if the command appearing is deliberate in an attempt to help troubleshoot issues caused by an incorrect setting.

We had problems implementing FabricPath where we couldn't get the IS-IS adjacencies to form. There were no error messages of any sort giving us an indication as to the cause. After hours of digging around and comparing outputs etc., we found a somewhat innocent looking message "L2-IS-IS works only on P2P interfaces" buried deep in the output of the show fabricpath isis internal event-history events command.

While an indication of the problem, the resolution was still not obvious as the medium command that was incorrectly programmed on the FabricPath interfaces was not visible. If the medium p2p command had been visible, then I believe finding root cause would have been quicker. Agreed we perhaps should have looked at the interface configuration with the all keyword, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

In short, I don't believe the appearance of the command is an issue, but if you really want to try and remove it... be careful.

Regards

Hi Steve,

If this command medium p2p is required for fabricpath connectivity, my question is should we include this command for the all the L2 switchports interface as we configure for fabricpath moving forward? How about configuring for legacy L2 trunk or port-channels? Will this command be required? As you mentioned, this command is not apparent or visible in the previous versions of the NX-OS 6.1(4a) and below. However, my support team will need to know when to include or when not to include this additional command (be it medium p2p or medium broadcast) when configuring the switchport interfaces in NX-OS 6.2(2a) version.

I probably need someone from the Cisco TAC or whoever is on NX-OS 6.2(x) version to confirm the approach and advise.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: