Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7010 - "SFP validation failed" message with SFP-10G-SR

Dear all, I have 2 Nexus 7010 with the 32 Port 10GbE Module (N7K-M132XP-12). I put some transceiver SFP-10G-SR in the different interface, but I get the following message "SFP validation failed" when I enter the show interface ethernet command. This message can be displayed when the interface and transceiver speed is mismatched but I tried also to force the speed of the interface on 10000 and the problem still the same.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark DeLong
Level 4
Level 4

Don't know if it helps but I have noticed on the 5020's that if you  put a 1G SFP into a 1/10 capable slot then you have to enter "speed 1000" into  the interface or you get the "SFP Failed Validation" error in a show interface. So you may want to try specifying the speed in the interface config.

I don't like specifying speed (or duplex for that matter) as auto-negotiation is required for 1G proper operation and now that auto-negotiation is pretty standard I have more problems caused by people "hard coding" these than not. But in this case it was necessary to make it work.

EDIT: Damn that was a necro-post! LoL. Well I hope it helps someone.

Message was edited by: Mark DeLong

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Use the command show interface ex/y transceiver detail to make sure your SFPs are cisco branded, you should see: CISCO-XXX

for example CISCO-AVAGO

Thanx Lucien but for sure my SFP tranceiver are Cisco branded. All the tranceiver were purchased with my Nexus Switch directly from Cisco Partner. I tried to put these tranceiver on my Nexus 5000 and i didn't get this problem.

Are you sure you are putting this tranciever in a 10G module, and not a 1G module?

You get this same message if you try to put the 10G tranciever in, for example, the 1Gig, 48 port linecard.  1G n7k linecards do not accept 10G sfp tranceivers.

Hi

I get exactly the same issue here. The tranceivers are definitely Cisco and they're installed in a 10G card. A batch of 8 have been delivered to me but only 2 of them seem to work. Could this be an issue with faulty tranceivers?

Hi,

There could be 2 reasons, 1. SFP is not inserted properly and 2. Swap fiber Tx,Rx and observe the change.

Mark DeLong
Level 4
Level 4

Don't know if it helps but I have noticed on the 5020's that if you  put a 1G SFP into a 1/10 capable slot then you have to enter "speed 1000" into  the interface or you get the "SFP Failed Validation" error in a show interface. So you may want to try specifying the speed in the interface config.

I don't like specifying speed (or duplex for that matter) as auto-negotiation is required for 1G proper operation and now that auto-negotiation is pretty standard I have more problems caused by people "hard coding" these than not. But in this case it was necessary to make it work.

EDIT: Damn that was a necro-post! LoL. Well I hope it helps someone.

Message was edited by: Mark DeLong

Hi Mark,

You are right, and i have done this since long time and the problem was solved. I don't like also specifying speed or duplex mode but it was the solution for my problem.

Regards,

Abdelaziz

I am getting this error on an NX 5010.  When I try to enter "speed 1000" I get

ERROR: Ethernet1/9: Configuration does not match the port capability.

While it accepts the speed 10000 entry, I get an SFP validation error.  If I set speed to 1000, I get the above error.

I am sure I am doing something wrong, but I am not smart enough to know what.  Anyone who responds, talk to me like I am 5 years old. It will make it easier on everyone.    Assume I know nothing, even though it's true.

show interface ethernet 1/10:

Ethernet1/10 is down (SFP validation failed)

Hardware: 10000 Ethernet, address: 0005.73bc.9551 (bia 0005.73bc.9551)

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA

Port mode is access

auto-duplex, 10 Gb/s, media type is 10g

N5010, Only the first 8 fixed ports are dual speed, supporting both 10 Gigabit Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet.

and N5020, Only the first 16 fixed ports are dual speed, supporting both 10 Gigabit Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet.

I was also facing the same problem, after connecting the 1G SFP module it gives "SFP validation failed"error. Changed the Speed manually to 1000, it start working. Not sure why nexus ports are not auto negotiation enabled. Anybody has any idea ? 

Helped me! Thanks!

You´re the man. Two things to have in mind here:

1. Specify the correct speed using the "speed" command

2. Make sure the SFP is Cisco:

Nexus-5548-Geo2# show interface e1/11 transceiver detail
Ethernet1/11
transceiver is present
type is 10Gbase-SR
name is CISCO-FINISAR
part number is FTLX8571D3XXX-XX
revision is A
serial number is FNS17230WSF
nominal bitrate is 10300 MBit/sec
Link length supported for 50/125um OM2 fiber is 82 m
Link length supported for 50/125um OM3 fiber is 300 m
Link length supported for 62.5/125um fiber is 26 m
cisco id is --
cisco extended id number is 4

SFP Detail Diagnostics Information (internal calibration)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Alarms Warnings
Measurement High Low High Low
Temperature 49.75 C 75.00 C -5.00 C 70.00 C 0.00 C
Voltage 3.20 V 3.63 V 2.97 V 3.46 V 3.13 V
Current 8.48 mA 11.80 mA 4.00 mA 10.80 mA 5.00 mA
Tx Power -1.88 dBm 1.69 dBm -11.30 dBm -1.30 dBm -7.30 dBm
Rx Power N/A -- 1.99 dBm -13.97 dBm -1.00 dBm -9.91 dBm
Note: ++ high-alarm; + high-warning; -- low-alarm; - low-warning