cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7K ISSU on single supervisor possible?

muthumohan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am unable to get a firm answer for this and have no luxury of laying my hands on a 7K to test. Here is the deal...

I know and understand the ISSU process on a dual supervisor situation on N7K.  I also understand the ISSU on N5K, which has a single supervisor. I believe in N5K, it is possible to upgrade NX-OS without disrupting the data plane operations, even though it only has a single supervisor.

But my question is, is real ISSU possible on N7K with a single supervisor module. From the documents I have seen on Cisco website, it seems not possilbe. As per the documennt, we need to use the "reload" command instead of "install all" command if N7K has only 1 Sup. Is that right?

Appreciate your help.

Regards,

Mohan

5 Replies 5

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Like the CCO doc said, it is not possible to do ISSU on a N7K with single SUP.

N5K has very strict requirement to perform ISSU (cannot be STP root, LACP fast hello is not supported, etc.), this include the control plane reset needs to come back up before 90 second, which is not possible with the N7K supervisor.

Yes, the doc is correct, you need to do a "reload" instead of "install all".

HTH,

jerry

Hey Jerry!

Where have you been hiding?

Hi Leo,

I move to the data center team and busy with all my customers (need to take care 3x more customers than before).

jerry

Hope is well Jerry. 

Thanks Leo. Same to you.

Regards,

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: