Views
Helpful
Replies

non-disruptive upgrade nx-os 5.0.x 5010

vergeerf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to upgrade my Nexus 5010 (running 4.2.1.N2.1) in the 5.0.x release notes, it says non-disruptive upgrade.

However if I run a show install impact command it says: Some LACP ports not in steady state or operating in 'rate fast' mode

so it will be disruptive. What are the requirements for a non-disruptive upgrade? how can I change the LACP "rate fast" mode?

Thanks for any help!
Frank

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ozden Karakok
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Frank,

You can change the lacp fast rate under the specific interface via "lacp rate normal" command.

N5K2-99(config-if)# lacp rate ?
  fast    Specifies that LACP control packets are transmitted at the fast rate, once every 1 second
  normal  Specifies that LACP control packets are transmitted at the normal rate, every 30 seconds after the link is bundled

At the end of  "show install all impact" output there must be a section called "Additional info for this installation:", in that section the upgrade script must be providing how many peers, switches have the fast lacp timers.

For ISSU to Proceed, you need to make sure:
1. The port-channel member port should be in a steady state.
2. Check if any of the port-channel member has fast timer enabled from the remote peer.

You can find out the lacp neighbors that are using fast rate  with "show lacp neighbors" command output.

For the ISSU upgrade you need to check "show install all impact" and "show lacp issu-impact" , "show spanning-tree issu-impact".

You may want to review the 5.0(2) release notes for the software defects that are reported for LACP and the work-arounds for the resolution.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/release/notes/Rel_5_0_2_N1_1/Nexus5000_Release_Notes_5_0_2_N1_1.html#wp204880

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks,

Ozden

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ozden Karakok
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Frank,

You can change the lacp fast rate under the specific interface via "lacp rate normal" command.

N5K2-99(config-if)# lacp rate ?
  fast    Specifies that LACP control packets are transmitted at the fast rate, once every 1 second
  normal  Specifies that LACP control packets are transmitted at the normal rate, every 30 seconds after the link is bundled

At the end of  "show install all impact" output there must be a section called "Additional info for this installation:", in that section the upgrade script must be providing how many peers, switches have the fast lacp timers.

For ISSU to Proceed, you need to make sure:
1. The port-channel member port should be in a steady state.
2. Check if any of the port-channel member has fast timer enabled from the remote peer.

You can find out the lacp neighbors that are using fast rate  with "show lacp neighbors" command output.

For the ISSU upgrade you need to check "show install all impact" and "show lacp issu-impact" , "show spanning-tree issu-impact".

You may want to review the 5.0(2) release notes for the software defects that are reported for LACP and the work-arounds for the resolution.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/release/notes/Rel_5_0_2_N1_1/Nexus5000_Release_Notes_5_0_2_N1_1.html#wp204880

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks,

Ozden

thanks! I will investigate the servers that are using the fast lacp timers and modify if possible

Frank

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: