Views
Helpful
Replies

OTV and Private VLANs

emaamur2006
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I'm a bit of a newbie with the whole OTV technology, so forgive me if i happen to mix things up....

I'm currently looking at a design to implement OTV on the Core (Nexus 7000) between 2 data Center. The network virtualisation part of the data center has Private VLANs implemented reflecting some service and application requirements for the UCS and the Compute/Virtulisation. For example, they are 5 Primary VLANs (Live-Prod,Management, Web Applcation, Database, Storage,Backup) etc . These are associated with a number of secondary VLANs eg Live-Prod, Xen-Live, Xen-TD,Xen-Preproduction etc....

So, Under primary VLAN Live- I have secondary vlans Xen-Live..... My question is, when i configure OTV Join interfaces, do i have to only configure Primary VLANS or do i also include/configure the secondary Vlans associated with that Primary VLANs. If the answer is NO, what will be the implication to the over all OTV feature desired objective of MAC address routing for all devices between data centre ? What will happen to the devices that are under secondary vlans.... Reading the limitation belows about Private Vlans kind of raised alarm bells, i hope am wrong

• After you configure the association between the primary and secondary VLANs, the dynamic MAC

addresses that learned the secondary VLANs are flushed.

• After you configure the association between the primary and secondary VLANs, all static MAC addresses

that were created on the secondary VLANs are inserted into the primary VLAN. If you delete the

association, the static MAC addresses revert to the secondary VLANs only

I hope that makes sense, any help, corrections will be highly appreciated ?

Regards

MM

0 Replies 0