Views
Helpful
Replies

OTV issue

mohammedrafiq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am connecting two DC's over OTV ( see attached diag).I have extended few VLAN between two DC's but unable to ping,Not sure where I am making mistake.

I have attached the config and show commonds as well from both OTV pods.TWO DC are connected with L3 point to point links and static routes are also configured between two DC's

I have used overlay1 on all 4 routers.

Regsrds. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You adjacency-server topology is configured incorrectly. Look like you want to use redundant adjacency-server:

SDC_Prod-2-OTV-2 and RTW-Nexus_7k_A-OTV-2

otv use-adjacency-server 10.165.117.242 unicast-only !!! RTW-Nexus_7k_B-OTV-2

SDC_Prod-1-OTV-1 and RTW-Nexus_7k_A-OTV-1

otv use-adjacency-server 10.165.117.246 unicast-only !!! RTW-Nexus_7k_A-OTV-1

In order to make this to work, your adjancy-server needs to point at each other (other adjacency-server). The non-adjacency-server needs to point at both to form a full mesh topology. For example:

RTW-Nexus_7k_B-OTV-1

otv adjacency-server unicast-only

otv use-adjacency-server 10.165.117.242 unicast-only !!! pointed to RTW-Nexus_7k_B-OTV-2

RTW-Nexus_7k_B-OTV-2

otv use-adjacency-server 10.165.117.246 unicast-only !!! pointed to RTW-Nexus_7k_B-OTV-1

SDC_Prod-1-OTV-1 and SDC_Prod-1-OTV-2 (need to configure both)

otv use-adjacency-server 10.165.117.242

otv use-adjacency-server 10.165.117.246

Give this a try and let me know.

Regards,

jerry

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You adjacency-server topology is configured incorrectly. Look like you want to use redundant adjacency-server:

SDC_Prod-2-OTV-2 and RTW-Nexus_7k_A-OTV-2

otv use-adjacency-server 10.165.117.242 unicast-only !!! RTW-Nexus_7k_B-OTV-2

SDC_Prod-1-OTV-1 and RTW-Nexus_7k_A-OTV-1

otv use-adjacency-server 10.165.117.246 unicast-only !!! RTW-Nexus_7k_A-OTV-1

In order to make this to work, your adjancy-server needs to point at each other (other adjacency-server). The non-adjacency-server needs to point at both to form a full mesh topology. For example:

RTW-Nexus_7k_B-OTV-1

otv use-adjacency-server 10.165.117.242 unicast-only !!! pointed to RTW-Nexus_7k_B-OTV-2

RTW-Nexus_7k_B-OTV-2

otv use-adjacency-server 10.165.117.246 unicast-only !!! pointed to RTW-Nexus_7k_B-OTV-1

SDC_Prod-1-OTV-1 and SDC_Prod-1-OTV-2 (need to configure both)

otv use-adjacency-server 10.165.117.242

otv use-adjacency-server 10.165.117.246

Give this a try and let me know.

Regards,

jerry

Thanks Jerry,

Its works fine.

Regards,

Hi ,

My OTV between diffrent DC's are working fine now, but I  am bit confuse with a ping test. My N7K1 showing active for all  Even VLAN's and other 7K shows Active for Odd VLAN's.  when I  test and unplug cable from N7k1, I lose one ping for both eve and odd vlan's , when I plug this link back and unplug WAN link from N7K2, then I don't lose any ping.

My understanding were as ,

1-Disconnect WAN cable from N7K1 ( act for even VLAN), I shhould lose one ping for evev VLAN but not for odd.

2-Disconnect WAN cable from N7K2 ( act for odd VLAN), I shhould lose one ping for oddVLAN but not for even,

Can anyone comment on this,

Regards,

N7K2-OTV1# sh otv vlan

OTV Extended VLANs and Edge Device State Information (* - AED)

Legend:
(NA) - Non AED, (VD) - Vlan Disabled, (OD) - Overlay Down
(DH) - Delete Holddown, (HW) - HW: State Down

VLAN   Auth. Edge Device                     Vlan State       Overlay
----   -----------------------------------   ----------       -------
   2   N7K2-OTV2                     inactive(NA)     Overlay1
   3*  N7K1-OTV1                     active           Overlay1
   4   N7K2-OTV2                     inactive(NA)     Overlay1
   5*  N7K1-OTV1                     active           Overlay1

When you said WAN link, which link is that? The OTV join interface? Can you include a diagram and show which link you were trying to unplug?

Regards,

jerry

Hi Jerry,

Please see attached diagram (OTV.VSD.zip) in first email at top.I am unpluging WAN link between DC1 and DC2, not join interfaces. Both these WAN links are L3 links and running OSPF.

Regards,

Ok, it is because ECMP L3 hashing, it is possible that you drop packets on both side when unplugging WAN cables.

Regards,

jerry

Hello,

Need one help regarding OTV. We have configured OTV between primary and secondary DC. Extension of layer 2 vlan is completed via OTV between 2 DCs. Now we were performing Layer 3 vlan extension. We are configuring localization of Vlan in secondary DC. Vlan belongs to primary DC.

For some servers Mac Entry is missing which should have populated by OTV.

Piont to note is the server MAC address is same but it is having 3 different IPs. This MAC is not extended by OTV. All other MAC got extended.

Do we have any reason for this behaviour of OTV.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: