Helpful
Replies

OTV using mCast and uCast adjacency server, and others

moyeonlee
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am curious about three topics.

First, can I implement multicast and unicast adjacency server on each Edge Device simultanousely for OTV neighbor discovery to have service redundancy? For example, is it possible that uCast can take over the role to maintain OTV adjacency if mCast backbone is gone? or reverse.

Second, let's assume there are two types of Module(M1/M2 and F2e) on one VDC, VDC-Alpha. In that case, does F2e is able to take routing function immediately when M series goes down?

Third, could anyone please explain the usages or differences of FabricPath and OTV implementation in practice. For example, their adv and disadvantage?

I need your explanations in detail with Cisco official documents.

Thank you so much in advance.

Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandip Rathod
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Paul,

I don't think, you can implement multicast and unicast on same device, as both unicast and multicast transport work different for control packet, and configuration is also different.

For you second question, you need another M series line card for L3 redundancy.

U mean to Fabricpath between DC ? with Fabricpath maximum 2 site you can connect, with OTV you can connect multiple DC, with Fabricpath you need L2 transport, with OTV, you can have any transport.

Let me know if you need more clarification

Regards,

Sandip

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Sandip Rathod
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Paul,

I don't think, you can implement multicast and unicast on same device, as both unicast and multicast transport work different for control packet, and configuration is also different.

For you second question, you need another M series line card for L3 redundancy.

U mean to Fabricpath between DC ? with Fabricpath maximum 2 site you can connect, with OTV you can connect multiple DC, with Fabricpath you need L2 transport, with OTV, you can have any transport.

Let me know if you need more clarification

Regards,

Sandip

Hi Sandip,

Thank you so much for your answers.

Please allow me to ask you about this. Let's assume that I implement OTV with multicast. What happens on OTV network when multicast infra. goes down? I'm sure that the OTV network will also goes down, right? In that case, Are there not any redundancy solutions to sustain OTV network to work?

Thanks in advance.

Paul