Views
Helpful
Replies

vPC and Layer 3

Angelo De Masi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I know that vPC is only a layer 2 technology and that Layer 3 vpc is not a reccomended configuration, but I'd like to know if it is just a no-best-practise or it isn't allowed at all?

I have to solve this problem :

Right now I have Aggregation Layer and Access Layer connected in double-side-vpc topology, formed respectively by a couple of Nexus 7000 and a couple of Nexus 5000.

Currently Core layer is formed by two Cisco 6504 configured as stand-alone peer, and they are connected to 7000 by Layer 3 links, two links from each 6504, one towards 7000 primary and second one toward 7000 secondary. There also are OSPF adjacencies relationships between them.

We have planned to substitute both 6504 with a couple of 7710 who are going to be in charge of DCI Layer with a new Data Center for Disaster Recovery, so new 7710 will form a collapsed DCI Layer and Core Layer.

What kind of topology and configuration do I have to apply to meet my need?

Could anyone give me any tip?

Thanks in advance for your collaboration.

Regards

angelo

4 Replies 4

adawa
Level 3
Level 3

Hello, Angelo. 

Let me check for a reference here that can assist you. Are these for your your existing 7710s? Feel free to e-mail me (adawa@cisco.com) for more concerns. Kind regards. 

Hi Adawa,

thanks for your reply. Yes, my qustion is concering my 77110s that we are going to install next weeks.

I will appreciate any suggestion. Let me know as soon as any news concerning.

Best regards

angelo

Hi, I'm still involved in that issue. Do you have any news?

I'm posting again the issue:

Hi,

I know that vPC is only a layer 2 technology and that Layer 3 vpc is not a reccomended configuration, but I'd like to know if it is just a no-best-practise or it isn't allowed at all?

I have to solve this problem :

Right now I have Aggregation Layer and Access Layer connected in double-side-vpc topology, formed respectively by a couple of Nexus 7000 and a couple of Nexus 5000.

Currently Core layer is formed by two Cisco 6504 configured as stand-alone peer, and they are connected to 7000 by Layer 3 links, two links from each 6504, one towards 7000 primary and second one toward 7000 secondary. There also are OSPF adjacencies relationships between them.

We have planned to substitute both 6504 with a couple of 7710 who are going to be in charge of DCI Layer with a new Data Center for Disaster Recovery, so new 7710 will form a collapsed DCI Layer and Core Layer.

What kind of topology and configuration do I have to apply to meet my need?

Could anyone give me any tip?

Thanks in advance for your collaboration.

Regards

angelo

Hi,

still concerning my question, do you think that could be reasonable to create two vdc on 7710s, so that one vdc will work as Core Layer with OSPF neighboors and the second vdc will work ad DCI Layer in a double side vpc mode downward respect to 7010s and upward respect the respectve 7710s in the other Data Center?

May be this one a solution?

Thanks,

Kind regards

angelo