cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vpc bind-vrf on Nexus 7000/N7k to ensure forwarding of multicast traffic over peer-link?

sstrack
Level 1
Level 1

In previous vPC setups with N5k (or also N6k), I had to use the 'vpc bind-vrf' command to ensure the forwarding of multicast over the vpc peer-link, especially for receivers in in non-vPC VLANs and the receivers connected to Layer 3 interfaces.

I am wondering why this command isn't available on N7k? Isn't this necessary on this platform or is it just not yet implemented?

Any hint is welcome!

Stephan Strack

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Andrew Gossett
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Stephan,

The 'vpc bind-vrf' command allocates a special internal VLAN for routing traffic over the vPC peer-link to ensure L3 connections on the vPC peer or orphan ports successfully receive multicast traffic on N5k/N6k platforms.  This workaround is not needed on the N7K because that platform implements the vPC loop prevention rule differently in hardware.

In short, 'vpc bind-vrf' is not required on N7K.

-Andy

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Andrew Gossett
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Stephan,

The 'vpc bind-vrf' command allocates a special internal VLAN for routing traffic over the vPC peer-link to ensure L3 connections on the vPC peer or orphan ports successfully receive multicast traffic on N5k/N6k platforms.  This workaround is not needed on the N7K because that platform implements the vPC loop prevention rule differently in hardware.

In short, 'vpc bind-vrf' is not required on N7K.

-Andy

Hi Andy, thank you very much for answering this question - I did already suppose that it works with the N7K without configuration of such a command. But it is really good to know that it behaves indeed that way Thank you very much again! Stephan!

Hi,

does this also apply to the N3k (3172, running 7.0(3)I7(2))?

Kind regards

Lennart