cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CAT3550-EMI : BGP capabilities

g.raymakers
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking into using a CAT3550 as a 'concentrator' in a new hub network. Main criteria is that i need full BGP support since several other connections will end up on that switch and routing will need to go over BGP. Does the CAT3550-EMI support all router IOS BGP commands and in general what's the routing capability of teh CAT3550... possible exmaple configs are also highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Guy

7 Replies 7

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

It should work fine, with all normal BGP commands avaiable. The biggest limitation you're going to face is in memory. If you're running it as a box within your BGP mesh (not internet routes, or just partials or a default), it should work fine. If you plan on taking in full internet routes, make certain you stack as much memory in it as it will hold. I'd say 256MB is the minimum now-a-days, and 512MB is preferrable.

Russ.W

Hello,

I've just tried to find the max memory in a 3550, without any luck, but I would be surprised if it takes above 128M,

Regards

Ian

The 3550 is a fixed config switch - no possibility

of adding more memory. There is absolutely no way

the 3550 will take a full Internet routing table.

On the other hand a 6500 with 512 MB on the MSFC2

will do nicely :-)

The routing table will have +- 6000 entries, is that a problem for the CAT3550? Over time the number of entries will go down... but at first it will be +- 6000.

600+ entries should be fine on a CAT3550. The full BGP routing table is more like 180,000 entries. :-)

Russ.W

I work on a rule of thumb of 600 bytes per BGP entry on a typical Cisco router. This must be multiplied by the number of EBGP connections locally on the router, and or x( num EBGP connections+1 )if there is IBGP to other internet connected routers. So assuming you have one EBGP connection, this is 3.6Mbytes, so you are quite safe,

Regards

Ian

This is generally a good rule of thumb. Remember that more attributes==more memory, and such things as that, but something around 600 bytes per BGP entry should be about right.

Russ.W