cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat3550 runs out of memory after an uptime of a couple of weeks

gerd.steinhauer
Level 1
Level 1

cat3550 12g running 12.1(14)EA1a shows mallocfail after running a couple of weeks. after reboot routing and switching works fine again.

7 Replies 7

Hello,

I have checked the bug toolkit, but there is nothing in there that applies to this version (12.1(14)EA1). Can you post the output of:

show memory allocating-process totals

show memory summary

I guess Cisco would recommend to upgrade the IOS; here is what their documentation says:

This is a Cisco Internet Operating System (IOS) bug, it is recommended to upgrade to the next higher version. If this doesn't solve the problem, or if you don't want to upgrade the router, enter the show processes memory command at regular intervals over a period of time (for example, every few hours or days depending on whether you have a fast or slow leak). Check to see if free memory continues to decrease and is never returned. The rate at which free memory disappears depends on how often the event occurs that leads to the leak. Since the memory is never freed, you can track the process that is using the memory by taking memory snapshots over time. Keep in mind that different processes allocate and de-allocate memory as needed, so you will see differences, but as the leak continues, you should see one process that is continually consuming more memory (Note: it is normal for some processes, such as Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) or Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) router, to use more than one megabyte of memory; this does not mean they are leaking).

Regards,

GP

i can not post the total output, here is the heading

sh memory allocating-process totals

Head Total(b) Used(b) Free(b) Lowest(b) Largest(b)

Processor C1A2D8 54408488 7500772 46907716 44229488 43930568

I/O 80000000 8388608 1778360 6610248 736 503364

Hello Gerd,

your output doesn't show any anomalities.

Not sure if you have already checked this document, it might provide some hints. It is difficult to pinpoint the reason for these failures, Cisco usually says it is a bug (that is what they told you) and recommend to upgrade the software...:(

Troubleshooting Memory Problems

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00800a6f3a.shtml

Regards,

GP

DWAM_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

are you using RSTP ?

Regards.

RSTP is not configured. We are only relying on PVSTP+ for the management VLAN.

robho
Level 3
Level 3

Be aware of this bug, CSCec89172. I'd suggest you upgrade to the code with this fix which is available now, 12.1(19)EA1a. Hope this helps.

yes, might be a problem, but actually we are not seeing this on more than one device. there are several 3550/2950 running a non 12.1(19)EA1a.