Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 2800 series, console settings/password recovery

kimlong
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We recently got a 2800 to use in a temporary setting. The old switch admin isn't around so we don't know the password or have access to it. The document I found on the Cisco site has a pretty easy procedure to reset to defaults but the

console doesn't respond to any of the cables we have. I've tried cable set ups that work on other Cat's and a straight through. Nothing seems to work.

I'm not sure I have the right document - it refers to 'holding down the mode button' in one section and there is no 'mode button'. I have a handy dandy 'reset' opening I can reach with a paper clip.....

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kim

1 Reply 1

paumercier
Level 1
Level 1

Kim,

From the Cisco web site:

Catalyst 1700, 2100 and 2800

There is no standard password recovery procedure for the Cisco Catalyst 1700, 2100 and 2800 products. If you forget the password, the Cisco device can be accessed by using the factory-installed password. Once you gain access to the device using the factory-installed password, you can change the password to a known password.

Note: This section is also applicable for those Catalyst 2800 switches that do not have the LED Mode button in their front panel

To recover your password, follow the steps below:

For security reasons, the factory-installed passwords are not made available on the Cisco web site. Contact the Cisco TAC for the factory-installed password.

Provide the serial number and/or Media Access Control (MAC) address of the switch.

The serial number is usually located on the back of the unit. To obtain the MAC address, remove the cover and read the Ethernet address of the Programmable Read-Only Memory (PROM).

Regards,

Paul