cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1750 and T1 Data/Voice Configuration

alinares
Level 1
Level 1

I'm fairly new to this and have a question.

I have a Cisco 1750 with a T1 DSU/CSU interface card connected to a point-to-point T1 circuit configured for data only. The physical connection is one cat5 cable connected to the T1 provider and the other end to the Cisco 1750 T1 DSU/CSU interface card.

Now I need to split the T1 circuit and alocate some channels for data and some for voice.

Question

Since only one cable is comming out of the T1 provider, what would I need to physically split the cable comming from the provider so I can connect the Cisco 1750 and my phone equipment? Does Cisco offer such h/w do this?

Since I have DSU/CSU intergrated in the T1interface card on the 1750, how do I physically connect my phone equipment to the cisco router?

Hope this make sense.

1 Reply 1

ckossmey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are 2 ways that you can do this:

1) get an external MUX that will take the T1 from the provider and break out the channels for you so you can run the data to the router and the voice to your PBX/voice equipment.

2) Cisco has a VWIC that will be able to do this for you. Something like a VWIC-2MFT-T1-DI provides "drop and insert" capability, which means you can take the T1 from your provider, terminate the data channels and then TDM switch (cross-connect) the voice channels out to your voice equipment. This VWIC is supported in the 17xx series per:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/wics.html

Regards,

Clay