cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HDLC vs PPP MULTILINK

h.ugwuadu
Level 1
Level 1

I want a point to point link from my headquarters to a branch office. Between HDLC and PPP multilink which one is preferable? I will like to use the one with less overhead on my router.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes,

If you are using Cisco devices end to end.

Allan

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

prafuljaded
Level 3
Level 3

HDLC has a lesser overhead compared to PPP.In case you want to combine two links using HDLC in future(Multilink) you can use "ip load-sharing per-packet" interface command which does almost same like PPP.

My understanding is that HDLC and PPP packet overhead on Cisco devices are about the same, and that PPP having more overhead is a common misconception. I haven't studied the packet formats, so I can't say for sure.

That being said, I'd probably go with HDLC as it is the default and therefore requires no configuration.

Yes,PPP will be effective on ISDN,dialup lines wherein you require Layer 2 protocols for authentication(PAP, CHAP) , Layer 3 parameters ( IP) are to be negotiated.

Thanks, I do not have plans of using ISDN, dialup or any authentication (PAP, CHAP). does mean that it will be better to use HDLC?.

Thanks, I do not have plans of using ISDN, dialup or any authentication (PAP, CHAP). does mean that it will be better to use HDLC?.

Yes,

If you are using Cisco devices end to end.

Allan