Helpful
Replies

Orange led on 2950 switch

sharon669
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am trying to find a device connected to 2950 switch

The goal is to turn on the Orange led so I can differentiate it from the other 24 ports,

Is there any way I can achieve this by connecting a dummy wire / circuit ???

circuit / short circuit wire --------> port 1-24 [ 2950 switch ]

Thank you !

Sharon

10 Replies 10

Sharon,

If the device isn't working properly, you can just unplug the cable from the malfunctioning device and you should see the port light go off on the switch. If portfast isn't enabled on the port, the LED should blink after re-connecting it, during the spanning-tree process of listening-learning-forwarding.

If the device IS working and you don't want to disconnect it, do you know the IP or MAC address? If so, ping the IP from the switch then "show ip arp" or "show arp" to see what the MAC address is. Then "show mac" to see what port it's connected to.

Hope this helps.

Swack

sharon669
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Swack

Somtimes the device is working and sometimes it's not working,

I am searching for the device port in a stuck, but its hard for me to recognize blinks because the whole stuck ports are blinking …

So I want to plug something in the devices socket and force the switch Orange led to glow

This way I can distinguish the port & switch .

I just now noticed that when connecting network card and configuring it to wrong speed (line 10 mb – and network card at 100 mb) sets the switch led to Orange

Any other idea will be welcomed!

Thank you all .

Sharon

You can telnet to Switch or connect to Switch through console cable . Disconnect the Network cable from NIC at PC side and issue a command in Switch side "sh log " and this will show which port went down . Then connect the cable again , issue "sh log" and see the same port on Switch shows up.

Orange color is due to duplex mismatch or speed mismatch between switch port and server/pc .

Regards,

Raju

Hi Raju

Thank you for your replay

As I recall the correct command to sniff link up /link down state, is "terminal monitor"

sorry but your replay doesn't answer my question

I know how to detect link up & down

I am trying to figure out something that will be connected as a device to the switch port [n] , and will force the switch led on port [n] to be Orange .

So maybe I can mimic a NIC with duplex error or speed error so the switch will show the orange led

Tank's Sharon

anyone else ?

i'm still stuck .

Sharon

Sharon,

The LED turns orange only when

1. POST

2. Port experiencing collisions / speed & duplex mismatch problems

You can do nothing with option 1, but with option 2 you can plug in a PC with different speed / duplex setting and see whether the port turns Orange.

But, really not sure why you need that to be turned Amber?

Rgds,

Vijay V

Hi ram

Thank you for your post ,

I have a 4 stack of 4 switches connected,

And when I bump into a problem when I don't know where a specific socket is connected in the stack, I have a problem

So if I could connect a device that will mimic wrong duplex settings / wrong speed settings , I will be able to track down the connection by look for the orange led

Sharon

ram.vijay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sharon,

Under what circumstances do you look out for a device connected to the switch...

What data you have , like experiencing virus issues, high broadcast / netbios traffic , port malfunctioning, port going up and down frequently.

If you have some data on hand, there are ways to find the port,,,but unless the port experiencing errors higher that thresold set by cisco (default), it will remain in Green color.

Rgds,

Vijay V

Try "sho mac-address-table address h.h.h" where h.h.h is 48 bit mac address to find what's connected on the port.

>>>If you have some data on hand, there are ways to >>>find the port,,,but unless the port experiencing >>>errors higher that thresold set by cisco

>>>(default), it will remain in Green color.

hi Vijay

is thare any way i can fource the "fluke" instument to turn the led from green to orange ??

mabe by forcing it to wrong duplex ?

Thank you

Sharon