cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1-legged router offers QoS?

a.whiting
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to enquire whether my legacy (1600/2500 series) routers' e0 ports (as the default gateways) on numerous site LANs with last-resort routes to new 3rd-party WAN routers, can be used to offer e0 in-out QoS? I am looking for some way to prioritise or throttle traffic before handing it to the 3rd-party WAN using my existing kit. Thanks in advance!

4 Replies 4

navasil
Level 1
Level 1

Some QoS features are possible. It is depend on IOS version you are using.

Hi - many thanks for the reply. My 1601's run 12.01(T), the 2502's & 2516's 11.01 - what would you recommend? - I realise I will have to upgrade them IF (the big IF) this 1-legged method stands a chance of working. I am trying to devote testing time to this proposal, but am also in the midst of a major roll-out, hence this forum!

It is depend on QoS policy you want to apply and the nature of your traffic pattern. For myself, I normally set up QoS on the WAN with out going traffic since it is the most effective way to protect my critical application running smoothly on the expensive link like WAN.

The way to accomplish are

- Classify your traffic with precedence or DSCP bit

- Define QoS policy on the interface

Hope its help

Thanks for your advice! - I'll try & devote some time to testing; if it works I'll keep you posted.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: