Views
Helpful
Replies

1 port, 2 Vlans on a 6506.

pgomez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello net gurus!

I have a server that is used for file serving on one VLAN most of the time, but on occasion we also use it to BOOTP and setup other machines, on one of about 6 VLANs. We only have one interface in the machine and I'm wondering, without taking it off the intial VLAN how can I also place it on another one. I found that the 6506's don't sport multi-vlan ports. Thanks!

-Paul Gomez

5 Replies 5

ciscoblood
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You dont need to physically move the server to each vlan. You might be having a router (external) or a RSM/MSFC on your 6500 to route between the vlans. On each vlan interface (i assume 2 through 6) which needs the Bootp requests to be passed to vlan 1, set a "ip helper-address" command, to forward all requests to this server ip address in vlan 1.

So if the server in vlan 1 has ip add 10.1.1.254,

on other vlan interfaces on the MSFC,

interface vlan 2

ip add<>

ip helper-address 10.1.1.254

interface vlan 3

ip add<>

interface vlan 4

ip add<>

interface vlan 5

ip add<>

interface vlan 6

ip add<>

hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestion, only problem is we're not running RSM on our switch... just a 6506 with a sup card, 48 port module and a 8 port gigabit...

Any more suggestions.. Thanks!

-Paul

You willl have to have a router or at least an ISL/DOT1Q trunk to the server. The only way between two VLAN's is via a routed interface.

There are options which are not expensive such as a trunk capable card from Intel and plenty of other vendors. You could also you Etherchannel via this method this creating a nice big logical pipe to the server.

If you go this route, you would config the switch port connected to the server as a trunk link, if you have more physical ports i would suggest etherchanneling to the server, this trunk would carry all VLANs and thus eliminates the need for an external router as the server could do that.

Of course....if you dont have a layer 3 switch, you can route, between the vlans, using your external router. You need to configure a trunk link between the router and the switch...(router on a stick configuration), allowing all the 6 vlans. The external router will route between the vlans. You would need a fast ethernet interface on the Cisco router...as you need ISL or 802.1q encap support and subinterfaces

router configs would look like..

int fa0/0

no ip add

int fa0/0.1

description Vlan1

ip add <>

ip helper-address <>

encapsulation isl 1

int fa0/0.2

description Vlan2

ip add <>

ip helper-address <>

encapsulation isl 2

and so on.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

n.titchener
Level 1
Level 1

As everyone has stated your problem is routing. If you are running Server 2000 or Advanced server 2000 you can configure the server to perform routing for the network. you will need to look into the hardware and system requirements for this but it is possible.

Good luck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: