cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10.0.0.0 range not allowed on 500 series switch

mhiatt13162
Level 1
Level 1

I effectively now have a paper weight. I have 10,000 devices with IP addresses in the 10 range. Yet my switch does not allow an IP in this range. Does anyone know of a way to fix this design flaw?

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

By "not supporting it," do you mean that you can't put an administrative address on it for management, or that it doesn't pass traffic that carries a "10. " address?

Because if you're saying that it won't pass the traffic, then I'd say you have a dead switch, because L2 switches don't know (or care) what the L3 address is.

If you're saying that you can't use "10. " addresses for management ... I'd also have to say that it's unlikely, and you have a config problem or a dead switch.

The express 500s are L2 switches, so there's no such thing as layer 3 (IP addressing) from the switch's point of view.

Try posting your config.

Good Luck

Scott

When I enter the IP address of 10.0.0.2 for management I receive the following:

"Error:

The IP addresses in the 10.0.0.0 network cannot be configured on this switch."

I found this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6545/products_user_guide_chapter09186a0080531d74.html

The switch does not support it. Funny, because the 10.0.0.0 range is one of the most common internal IP subnets out there.

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Only 10.0.0.x range cannot be used since this range is used for express set up of the switch(10.0.0.1). If you are using using VLSM, you can use other ranges such as 10.1.x.1/24 or 10.0.1.x/24 etc.